Knee injury at work...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I just twisted my left knee at work. Have sharp pain above kneecap, hopefully it's just a muscular injury because I was putting in some pretty violent effort in yesterday on the 'Aryton,' my recycled Falcon singlespeed.

I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday but should I buy some kind of athletic support in the meantime? What's the current philosophy on immobilising v just leaving it alone?

I have put ice on it but as I'm not sure if it's a muscle or ligament injury I'm not sure if this is the right thing.

I have to drive 4 hours later today which I'm not looking forward to. I should be OK once I'm on the motorway.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I assume I won't be cycling for a while.

vickster

Legendary Member
A support might help, needs to be Fairly tight

Rest ice compression elevation usual for musculoskeletal injuries. Take a couple of ibuprofen and paracetamol for pain

No cycling until you've seen the doc. If able to walk, bend and straighten, no major swelling or giving way hopefully just a sprain. Knees can take months to heal even from fairly innocuous injuries.

Should you not go to A&E if a workplace injury? If swollen or unable to walk, go to a hospital

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
It seems to be improving slightly. I've been signed off work for two weeks which is OK with me! ^_^

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Yes, I made sure I filled in the accident book and company paperwork. I even informed H&S department.

He thinks it's just bruised; I have full range of movement, no swelling, no ligament damage. It's just painful through an arc bending it from about 45% to 90% (ie driving...)

Hopefully it should be fine after a couple of weeks rest.

vickster

Legendary Member
Nice to get signed off. When I really knackered my left knee, torn meniscus, nice chunk of cartilage off femur and a great big bone bruise, I got about a day of work, half of which was to go to A&E

Ok, I had 3 weeks off when I finally had surgery 5 months later!

Rest properLy, no cycling...good time to look for that new bike ;)

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Nice to get signed off. When I really knackered my left knee, torn meniscus, nice chunk of cartilage off femur and a great big bone bruise, I got about a day of work, half of which was to go to A&E

Ok, I had 3 weeks off when I finally had surgery 5 months later!

Rest properLy, no cycling...good time to look for that new bike ;)

:ohmy: That sounds horrific...

Yeah, I'll be taking it easy. Shame, I had planned two days cycling around cirencester looking for a house to rent!

vickster

Legendary Member
I can take a certain amount of time off work every year, beyond that would be unpaid. Too much could lead to disciplinary. I try as much as I can to book my myriad appointments outside working hours. Having the choice of when is imo THE major benefit of private healthcare as well as being able to choose who to see

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I've spent years on contracts and not getting paid if I'm ill, now I have a permanent position and I'm milking it!

Top Bottom