Knee pain just started

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madguern

Evening all

Have noticed the past couple of days that I am getting a on my right knee on the outside. Happened since I changed bikes and it is probably down to fit. Any pointers on where to look !

Many thanks in advance

Rob

buggi

Bird Saviour
maybe adjust your saddle height. did mine recently by only half an inch.. made all the difference.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are your feet identical on the pedals? Does your right foot feel as if it's slipping off the outside of the pedal or do you get pain under the outer side of that foot above the pedal?

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

Hi no pain on the foot at such, I have swapped pedals from standard , toeclips to SPD. Knee issue was always there but only on this bike. Was thinking maybe crank length so although LBS fitted me to bike maybe need further adjustment. Buggi may try raising the saddle a little to see if that helps

yello

Trial and error. Sometimes you just have to tweak saddle positions (up/down, fore/aft) bit by bit and see what helps and what makes matters worse. It's also a matter of getting used to things sometimes. But, that said, you shouldn't ignore pain.

Though I did have an odd thought. You say your LBS fitted you on the new bike, perhaps it's the OLD bike that was at fault and you're just getting used to the new (and correct) fit!

Can you remember having any pains when you first started riding your old bike?

Bill Gates

yello said:
Trial and error. Sometimes you just have to tweak saddle positions (up/down, fore/aft) bit by bit and see what helps and what makes matters worse. It's also a matter of getting used to things sometimes. But, that said, you shouldn't ignore pain.

Though I did have an odd thought. You say your LBS fitted you on the new bike, perhaps it's the OLD bike that was at fault and you're just getting used to the new (and correct) fit!

Can you remember having any pains when you first started riding your old bike?

Sensible advice, but if I did that I wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning. Lower back, shoulders, neck, hip, elbow and knees. Sometimes some of them, mostly all of them painful from stresses strains and injuries (crashes and football) sustained over the years.

One knee has been operated on four times and the other has given no problems until about two months ago. Now it is hurting. Given up on resting it and putting ice on it (no swelling?) and taking pain killers. Nearly gave up cycling this week after 5 days no riding and no improvement but went out today and rode through the pain. I can live with that.

yello

Bill Gates said:
rode through the pain.

It's a personal call, as I'm sure you'd agree. That is, what is serious pain and what is ignorable without causing further damage? Sometimes, yes, you put up and shut up. One should remember though that pain IS the body's way of telling you that something is wrong. So not always advisable to ignore it completely.

Only the individual knows what feels like a niggle that can be tolerated, and what feels like a 'no, summat's up'. And maybe sometimes you do just say 'bugger it, to hell with the consequences' and carry on.

Personally speaking, if I made adjustments to the bike every time I felt a niggle or twinge, I'd be forever adjusting the bike. I can have pains that I've not felt before and, 30km later, they are gone.

I would say though that if madguern is constantly feeling the pain every single time he/she rides, and it's not something that can be ridden off, then it is worth investigating further.

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

yello, good point is may be the old bike was wrong. the pain is something I can ride through and not stopping me doing anything. Its just a niggle and I want to ensure I nip it in the bud rather than leave it and cause more damage. It is not stopping me doing a 50 mile + ride nor climing up hills. Seems to be once warmed up gets better so maybe i need to warm up a little better.

Cheers

Top Bottom