knee pain, only when cycling....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
i havent been able to ride recently due to getting pains inside both knees whilst cycling....

does anyone have info on causes and solutions to cycling knee pain?

i've tried moving my cleats but made no difference. i managed 2 miles before pain last time. it seems worse under strain. on the flat just turning over i can feel it but no real prob, but uphill or pushing hard on the flat it hurts lots and is almost too painful to continue....

help

Just on the bike or do you get the same issues if you "squat"? My first step would be to get the answer to that. It might be a physical problem with the knees and nothing to do with bike fit.

tyred

Legendary Member
Here's a good guide on bike fit but only make small changes at a time and only change one thing at a time so you will know what makes it worse or better.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I had knee pain issue when first cyling seriously in my late teens but persisted off the bike. Almost certainly a wearing injury to joint. Gave me an habitual limp that persisted until I re-jigged it by breaking my hip thirty plus years later. Solution there was to gear lower and use a higher cadence.

Sounds like a configuration issue in your case as you're getting pain pretty quickly. Essential to change only one item at a time.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
What type of cleats / pedals are you using ?

Cubist

Still wavin'
I was starting to worry about the pain in my knee as it hurt without havi g a tender point. Turns out it was my hip. So, if it only hurts on the bike, consider havi g your hip checked. On bad day the pain from my hip extends to the front of my shin. ..all to do with nerve pathways.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
thanks for all the replies, some good reading.

im riding with shimano m520's and louis garneau mtb shoes

Well the M520's certainly have a good degree of float to help the knee. Have you been using these long or recently started ?

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
since may last year, did about 1,200 miles before and hint of pain.

pain started on a training ride for kentish killer and i wasnt even pushing hard.

Top Bottom