knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iainw

Iain
I went for a 15 mile ride 2 days ago on my road bike. The ride was fine but as soon as I got back I got bad knee pain on the outside of my left knee which hasn't gone away since. I tried going out again this morning and had the same problem.

Has anyone got any ideas what exactly might have caused this? I have been using toe clips and I'm fairly sure my saddle is the right height!

Could be one or more of many things either bike or clip related.
Could also be a non bike issue that is exacerbated by cycling.

There's a few links here and on the web on how to set your seat height, angle, reach etc as well as cleat settings.
Exhaust these first to possibly alleviate/eliminate the possibles

Tony

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's only one side it sounds as if your cleats are set up wrong and forcing your feet to take an un-natural posture. Sit on the edge of a table and let your feet hang loose - are they at a similar angle when clipped in to the pedals?

tyred

Legendary Member
Toe clips can cause similar problems if they are forcing your feet into an unnatural position.

Are you mashing a big gear? Have you only recently started cycling again after a long break? Can you try moving your saddle back a little.

OP
OP
iainw

iainw

Iain
thanks for the advice- i adjusted the saddle height which seemed to work at first, but it came back on a longer ride. i strongly suspect it's the toe clips which aren't so great, and I think I naturally pronate too- i have a problem with shin splints as well when I run so it may be something to do with that. I'll move the saddle back a cm and see if that helps and probably finally invest in some cleats!

yumpy

See a doctor to find out what part of the knee is actually the problem. There are so many parts involved in knee movement, that otherwise its guesswork. Or see a sports physiotherapist if you know someone who can reccommend one.

I'd be pretty sure its nothing to do with shinsplints, but if you're a runner it might be your illiotibial band getting inflamed or stiff. btw if you didn't know, shinsplints are on the inside of the leg (bones). If the pain is on the outside, its the muscle that's getting tired and needs strengthening - its the one that lets your foot down gradually as you run.

Shortlist: ligament strain, itb problem, bursa inflammation. Any one of which could be caused by the knee rolling in, or out or being forced into positions it doesn't like. Or not warming up if you've been running and things have stiffened up.

OP
OP
iainw

iainw

Iain
Sounds about right on the running- that was never properly diagnosed- luckily I only ever ride now anyway!

its lateral pain on the outer/lower part of the knee, which i'm reliably informed is almost always connected with incorrect foot positioning

suffolkcindy

I had a similar problem with one outside of one knee after any cycling exertion and which after +/-70miles would cause more progress down to the foot which would go dead...I had an alignment test with BikeFit to check the inward tilt of my knee when cycling and regular sports massage and I now have no problems. It turned out to be a slight twist in the upper leg muscles twisting my knee even though it was perfectly lined up in the cleats and my saddle was the right height. I think its worth sorting it out properly before it becomes more serious and limits your mileage.
So I recommend Mike at Bike Fit in Warrington...although its not so fun seeing yourself cycling on video from behind :blush:

Top Bottom