Knee pain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madders

Regular
My right knee clicks and is painful when cycling yet OK when walking and running. I spoke to a colleague who does Physio for his local rugby club and he thinks it's cartilage and has come about from me recently taking up cycling with it's different type of movements.
He's suggested it may well settle down and to take cod liver oil and ibuprofen, obviously seeing my Dr should I feel I need to. Any views on this?

geo

assuming your using clipless pedals,make sure your pedal/shoe cleat is set up correctly,incorrect set up is a possible way to introduce knee pain

Berties

Fast and careful!
I would go and see a physio who has a broad spectrum of experience a good physio with a sound understanding of biomechanics will replicate what causes the pain,and then resolve it with stretches physio and exercises,my fellow rider is just one ,and gets the long term cases from our rugby ,it could be a repetitive injury a poorly set up saddle ,or a injury picked up else where and cycling agrevates it
So good sports physio that understands cycling,and follow his or her recovery prescription

OP
OP
Madders

Madders

Regular
What about my LBS setting up the bike for me? I've wondered about my saddle position. I just use flat peddles on my road bike and rat traps on my MTB.

Berties

Fast and careful!
A good bike shop will set the bike up,a set of cleats will improve the power of pedalling ,they will sit you on the trainer and do all the adjustments,and mine even adjusts my cleats ,slight in or out made all the difference to me,the shop I go to now even did my older bike from another shop

OP
OP
Madders

Madders

Regular
I may go with cleats but I just can't afford too much in the way of kit at the moment. LBS sounds like it'll be worth the visit.

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
I'm going thru the same thing, 2 weeks of discomfort so far but feels 'ok' when riding but is rather more uncomfortable after a ride. Been the LBS yesterday and they've told me everything is perfectly set up. Been to the docs as well who has now referred me to physio. Only problem is physio is 4 weeks off :sad: makes me nervous going out on the bike in case I'm doing lasting damage :sad:

Berties

Fast and careful!
I'm going thru the same thing, 2 weeks of discomfort so far but feels 'ok' when riding but is rather more uncomfortable after a ride. Been the LBS yesterday and they've told me everything is perfectly set up. Been to the docs as well who has now referred me to physio. Only problem is physio is 4 weeks off :sad: makes me nervous going out on the bike in case I'm doing lasting damage :sad:

may be look at your ride style increase your cadence,less power,are you delivering to your pedals correctly,i.e. are you cleats or clips,again are they set up correct are you resting between rides,and mixing up speed and endurance ,i had a knee injury from running,no resting over doing it repetitive strain of a sort, physio straight away all the treatments going,heat ultra etc a week of rest and straight back in,
all injuries have a reason,a good biomechanics physio will get to the bottom of it,and if they ride even better,i wish you a speedy recovery and take the recovery prescription given to you by the physio and keep to it:thumbsup:

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
may be look at your ride style increase your cadence,less power,are you delivering to your pedals correctly,i.e. are you cleats or clips,again are they set up correct are you resting between rides,and mixing up speed and endurance ,i had a knee injury from running,no resting over doing it repetitive strain of a sort, physio straight away all the treatments going,heat ultra etc a week of rest and straight back in,
all injuries have a reason,a good biomechanics physio will get to the bottom of it,and if they ride even better,i wish you a speedy recovery and take the recovery prescription given to you by the physio and keep to it:thumbsup:

Hi Berties :thumbsup: Thank you very much for the kind words. I'll definatley be holding on to every word of advice the physio can give me and of course your advice too :smile:

Top Bottom