Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
Last 2 rides ive done ive been getting knee pain from around 20 miles in, last week i finished the 40 miles i had planned but couldn't walk all weekend.

Currently im at the side of the rd 30 miles in waiting for the mrs to pick me up.

Another weekend not being able to walk!

It starts gradually and gets worse over time, seems to be more then spinning up hill, not so bad standing up.

It starts like a cramping feeling at the top of my calf, back of my knee.

Any ideas?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Back of the knee can sometimes be saddle too high??

As Mo said, pain at the back of your knee is quite commonly your saddle being too high. I'd look at that first. I'd look also at cleat set up, whether you have enough float.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Sorry should have said, i use flat pedals and trainers

Ive had a bike fit but have since played with the bars height , i raised them up.

Maybe try lowering saddle slightly

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry should have said, i use flat pedals and trainers

Ive had a bike fit but have since played with the bars height , i raised them up.

Maybe try lowering saddle slightly
Get back in touch with the bike fitter (is s/he a physio orva bike shop fitter?)...get reassessed either way

Does it only hurt cycling? Ice it after stretching it when you get home

If you only get this cycling it's bike setup

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yep only cycling, otherwise healthy knees
Its lasts a couple days then goes

Last week it felt like it started in my calf and worked its way ul to my knee

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I dont think so, this week was just behind the knee not in the calf at all.
Its when im in a high gear and spinning up hills but once it starts it just gets worse and worse, luckily as i stoped and got picked up its fine now
Ive lowered my seat by 5mm so guess i will see how that goes

Any tenderness behind the knee now. If so, you might have inflamed something. You have some hamstring insertion points behind the knee and the poplietus muscles and tendons. If there is you probably shouldn't ride until that's gone.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
No its not tender now, i can feel it going up and down the stairs but its its nothing like last week.
But thats because i didnt try and push through this time.

stalagmike

Enormous member
I'm not a physio or anything but I'd say if you can't walk after riding then I would certainly think about giving it a rest for at least a couple of weeks. You've probably strained something and it just needs time to heal.

Top Bottom