Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I had meniscus surgery on my right knee a few yrs ago but its my left knee thats been hurting.

Im sure its to do with the bike fit as its the only time it hurts.
I do kettlebell stuff and have no problems.

Hopefully ive just strained something.

vickster

Legendary Member
If it’s directly bike related, it seems odd that it’s only one knee and bad enough to force you off the bike mid ride?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah only left knee, and defo couldn't carry on riding once it starts.
I can walk ok just not sit and spin thats when it got bad

You look better on the new bike. You're going to have to try a longer ride and see. But, if you have strained anything from earlier it might need time to settle. You say you've done 10 miles which is encouraging, it tends to suggest you haven't or you'd feel it. so go out, ease back a bit and ride.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Well just done 24 miles, felt really good untill 19/20 miles then the pain started.

Starts outside top of calf area then spreads to outside back of knee.
I feel it most at the bottom of the down stroke

I really dont think my seat is too high.

It seemed to help if i concentrated on pointing my toes downwards for some reason

Well just done 24 miles, felt really good untill 19/20 miles then the pain started.

Starts outside top of calf area then spreads to outside back of knee.
I feel it most at the bottom of the down stroke

I really dont think my seat is too high.

It seemed to help if i concentrated on pointing my toes downwards for some reason
I think a few of us commented on your pointed toes. If you walk around on your toes in the house it won't take long to feel it in your calfs. I think you may have identified the problem, which is pedalling style. You may have to concentrate to change it and I wonder if going clipless will help you keep your foot flatter. it may now be worth going back to your bike fitter to ask if he can solve this problem. I think clipless or putting your seat quite obviously too low, or both, concentrating on keeping your feet flat until you adapt and then slowly raising the saddle back could work as a plan. Keep your rides short while you do.

It was the other way round, pointing my toes down seemed to help my knee slightly!
So it was! Hah. So much for my reading skills. I still think that could be the answer though. Simply adjusting your toes may just have taken the strain from one area briefly. Which shows the affect of such a change. I think experimenting with this and doing some stretching and massaging of your calfs might well be the answer. I think you've more or less proven that bike setup is having a minimal effect, so the answer has to lie elsewhere.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Possibly, but i do stretch 2 to 3 times a week so id like to think not.

It feels ok now im home, its weird.
I felt really good and strong, bike felt really good then all of a sudden i notice i slight twinge and then it starts.

Its ok on flats but a slight incline and spinning my legs thats when it hurst the most.

Possibly, but i do stretch 2 to 3 times a week so id like to think not.

It feels ok now im home, its weird.
I felt really good and strong, bike felt really good then all of a sudden i notice i slight twinge and then it starts.

Its ok on flats but a slight incline and spinning my legs thats when it hurst the most.
I think it's one of those things that you may need to try several things before you get to the bottom of. As an example, I started back this April from Patella Tendonitis. I just started on the turbo and after 2 sessions I had some pain in my right leg above my ankle which was completely random. The next time I got on the turbo I paid some attention to what I was doing and I realized I'd been pedalling unevenly, slightly toe down and when I did I could feel it. As soon as I flattened my foot, the pain went. Not completely. Several weeks later and that area is still slightly tender, just from two 20 minute sessions.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah im starting to think you might be right, pedaling technique.

The bike definitely feels better than the btwin though, much more control over it and less twitchy so thats one positive i guess.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah im starting to think you might be right, pedaling technique.

The bike definitely feels better than the btwin though, much more control over it and less twitchy so thats one positive i guess.
If you do want to get sorted, get a bike assessment from a physio. Who can check you over and assess your position on the bike, not an Evans salesman. Usually costs around a ton
E.g. In Sevenoaks http://www.sevenoaksphysiotherapy.co.uk/bike-screen

Oh and you'll need to stretch every day, twice a day if possible especially if you have a sedentary job which is a killer for muscle length and flexibility...tedious for sure

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Thanks for that i will look into it when i have some money again lol

Im trying to move my leg/ankle in different ways to replicate the pain, if i know what angle causes pain i can avoid it but no matter what i do i dont feel anything untill im peddling!

That physio thing is £120 for 1hr 15min... i wont be booking that any time soon, maybe when i win the lotto
Takes me a day to earn that!

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Keep lowering the saddle in 5mm increments until you no longer feel the pain....it really is that simple

Take the Alan keys out with you and ride until you start feeling the pain, when that happens jump over lower the saddle and then get back on and ride.......if it eases, then drop it another 5mm as not every day is a good day

Top Bottom