Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably too late but perhaps you could go back to wherever you got your bike fit done and explain the problem. It seems like whoever did it got it badly wrong. I've never had one but I hear they can be quite expensive. Did you get it bundled in with the bike purchase?
I think the bike was second hand

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah its a xl
I bought it second hand and he said it was L wasn't untill i got home i realised it was xl

The bike fit was at a evans store, about £45

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
That 2nd still you posted definitely looks wrong. You're not quite at the bottom of your pedal stroke but already your leg looks over extended. This explains why you're cycling heel up in the video.

I'm with Jowwy now in thinking your hips are rocking too much but ultimately if you've got back of the knee pain, there's really no question that the saddle is too high.

In general, that bike is huge, you've got no bend in your elbows either. Just watch a few videos on GCN and look how they look on their bikes. That one I posted shows all the pros pedalling with a much flatter foot and more a bend in their leg than you have.

I kinda thought if you'd had a bike fit, then it must be vaguely right but in fact, it's shockingly wrong.

See to me my legs doesn't look over extended? I have quite a bend in my knee?
Could someone post a pic of how my leg should look?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You cycling on tip toes, your hips are rocking and you have behind the knee pain....all 3 things point to saddle being too high

Forget knee bend at whatever position its irrelevant. Riding comfortably and pain free is what you should be aiming for......

I think Vickster said; heel on pedal with the pedal at 6 o clock and your leg should be straight. But that's a starter. it then depends on other factors such as pedalling style, seat position, cleat position. I would have thought you're bike fit would have done all that, which is why I can't quite decide whether it's too high or not. But as Jowwy says, ultimately it's too high if you're getting pain behind the knee and it's only the bike which is causing this i.e. you don't normally have pain doing other things.

My own saddle height is slightly less than optimal precisely because I've had pain behind the knee.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I did do it with heal on pedal, the bike fit guy actually raised it slightly from where i set it
Ive now lowered it by 5mm

vickster

Legendary Member
I think Vickster said; heel on pedal with the pedal at 6 o clock and your leg should be straight. But that's a starter. it then depends on other factors such as pedalling style, seat position, cleat position. I would have thought you're bike fit would have done all that, which is why I can't quite decide whether it's too high or not. But as Jowwy says, ultimately it's too high if you're getting pain behind the knee and it's only the bike which is causing this i.e. you don't normally have pain doing other things.

My own saddle height is slightly less than optimal precisely because I've had pain behind the knee.
I have my knee slightly bent with heel on pedal. I have poorly knees though and full extension (and deep flexion) are uncomfortable

My last 2 fits have been done by physios familiar with my numerous ails (the Retul one was pretty poor in comparison, focused on performance not comfort)

Kajjal

Guru
Im not really sure i understand this?
So pedal at 6 oclock? Heal on pedal?
Then see if i have room between me and the seat?

The seat tube is where the tube on the frame the saddle slides into, you need your feet on both pedals in your normal cycling position for your feet. Then free wheel and try to lift.

Kajjal

Guru
I will try to explain it differently ^_^

When you raise and lower your saddle the tube in the frame the seat post goes into is called the seat tube.

Free wheel on your bike and put either pedal down so the crank arm is pointing down in line with the seat tube. It will not be straight down but slightly diagonal as the seat tube is also at an angle. This is the furthest distance from the saddle to the pedal.

Then keeping your feet flat on the pedals try to lift yourself off the saddle upwards in the same direction the seat post points upwards, this will be diagonally backwards. If you cannot lift yourself a little your saddle is too high. Just keep repeating lowering the saddle until you can lift a little and it is better to be a bit low than a bit high. It will likely feel very different to how it is now.

People’s bodies vary a lot in their makeup, strength and flexibility which is why bike fit rules / methods have to be interpreted to suit the individual and taken literally are often incorrect.

Hope that helps, if not just keep dropping the saddle until you stop rocking on the saddle and no longer point your feet down to reach the pedals at the bottom.

stalagmike

Enormous member
I ride a btwin triban in XL ( well it doesn't say XL on it but it's a 63) but then I'm 6ft 3. It might be that it's just too big for you at 5 11. However, overall height is no indication of leg length of course.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Right new bike, set up correctly i hope!

Seat hight is alot lower than on the previous bike

Set up with heel on pedal
20190518_101602.jpg

What do you guys think?

View: https://youtu.be/6oMaTohLyCw

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Nobody think that looks right or wrong?

No matter how low the saddle my hips seem to move a bit unless i have it super low

vickster

Legendary Member
Nobody think that looks right or wrong?

No matter how low the saddle my hips seem to move a bit unless i have it super low
How’s your core?

Hard to tell from pic as foot not flat

How does your knee feel when you ride?

Top Bottom