Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Ive not been out on another ride yet, been tinkering with the bike, the gears were jumping so sorted that out.

Im going to try and get out weds evening for a couple hrs work depending

Ive had no problems with my knee since the last time i was on the bike

vickster

Legendary Member
Take an Allen key with you so you can tweak if needed

stalagmike

Enormous member
See how you go if you get out for a ride tomorrow, but looking at your new set up, I still think your saddle is a bit high. Why not do it the old school way and set it so that you can only just get your tip toes on the ground when seated on the saddle. Forget about the pedals etc. Do this with the bike on level ground and not on the trainer of course!

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
See how you go if you get out for a ride tomorrow, but looking at your new set up, I still think your saddle is a bit high. Why not do it the old school way and set it so that you can only just get your tip toes on the ground when seated on the saddle. Forget about the pedals etc. Do this with the bike on level ground and not on the trainer of course!

Yeah ive tried this too, my toes can touch the floor without stretching, not as far as the ball of my foot but also not literally the end of my toes

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah ive tried this too, my toes can touch the floor without stretching, not as far as the ball of my foot but also not literally the end of my toes
Go ride it and see how you get on...you should be doing all this sizing stuff in your padded shorts not your jeans or joggers unless that's how you plan to ride the new bike. Padded shorts by their very nature will lift you a little higher too off course

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I had my padded shorts on under my joggers

Every method of seat height I look into it's a little bit lower than recommended

Last couple of times my knee started hurting quite deep into the ride and I'm worried that I'm going to get stranded and have to walk 20 miles home lol

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I had my padded shorts on under my joggers

Every method of seat height I look into it's a little bit lower than recommended

Last couple of times my knee started hurting quite deep into the ride and I'm worried that I'm going to get stranded and have to walk 20 miles home lol
If that happens just tweak the saddle height

It won;t be helping that you ride distances on trainers, have a stop every 30 minutes or so...maybe look into getting clipless if you plan to go further...I find with my feet stable, my knees move in a better plane too

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I have been thinking about getting some SPD pedals the last couple of days

I just feel like it's more faff, something else I've got to try and set up correctly

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Right new bike, set up correctly i hope!

Seat hight is alot lower than on the previous bike

Set up with heel on pedal
View attachment 466940

What do you guys think?

View: https://youtu.be/6oMaTohLyCw

i still think its a bit too high........its better to be too low, than too high

vickster

Legendary Member
Its on the last height marking line on the seat post!
If i lower it another 1cm should i really be lowering the bars too?
Is the bike the wrong size again? Or do you have rather short legs for your height?

Why would you need to lower the bars if your reach and position are comfortable

Didn't you pay for a bike fit?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
The bike is the right size.

I dont have short legs no, 5 11 32" leg

I did pay for a bike fit on the last bike but everyone said that it looked completely wrong so im not gonna pay for another bike fit.

Tbh its starting to seem more hassle than its worth

vickster

Legendary Member
The bike is the right size.

I dont have short legs no, 5 11 32" leg

I did pay for a bike fit on the last bike but everyone said that it looked completely wrong so im not gonna pay for another bike fit.

Tbh its starting to seem more hassle than its worth
What is?

Have you ridden the new bike yet?

If the last bike fit was rubbish, maybe they’ll do a deal on the new bike if you think they have any idea?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah ive been out on it but not far, 10 miles at a time.
Worried about my knee playing up and getting stranded!

Its a hr drive to where i got the last fit, they only do monday to friday and im not wasting holiday from work to do it when the first one was rubbish.

Just seems so much hassle trying to get comfortable on a road bike, ive got 30miles planned this weekend so ill see how it goes.

If i get problems again im not really sure what im gonna do next, i do know im not spending any more money on bike fits, smaller bars, stems etc

Ive spent a fortune trying to find a comfortable ride

Top Bottom