Knee Problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Despite having had three knee surgeries in the past (cartilage removal, trimming, etc), my knees have been relatively trouble free for at least five years.

Woke up on Thursday and my leg was particularly stiff and painful and since then, the rear of the knee and particularly the areas directly above and below the knee at the top of the calf and bottom of the hamstring feel enormously tight. I have been off the bike since then thinking I had strained something, but I see no improvement to date. Mrs KH thinks the whole RHS knee is looking larger than the LHS and it may be inflamed/swollen although it has always looked bigger than the other, since surgery, because of scar tissue. I don't feel any pain in the middle of the knee particularly and I can walk, sort of, however if I try to bend the knee and straighten the leg to its extreme point the rear of the knee (and upper calf/lower hamstring) becomes incredibly tight and painful.

Any clues as to what this might be? Was thinking if it continued on much longer I would take it to a physio. It doesn't appear to be a cartilage issue (please God, no) but I may be deluding myself.

postman

Legendary Member
I had surgery in Feb .Torn cartlidge stitched up and cleaning done,bits of crap washed out .
But like you the knee has always been swollen above the knee cap .But never on the other leg which i had done years ago .

No pain ,but last week i put it through some stiff work out .I decorated two rooms for couple ,through a church organization .

And wow more swelling and aching .This is it's first real test .

I think we both might have Arthritis and excessive amonts of movement may trigger some form of defence ie the swelling .

Give it a week or so then go see your GP if it's not better .Thats my plan .Just to be on the safe side .

And what i understand is,if it is Arthritis this will be a continuing problem .

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Mrs 3BM puts me though a couple of yoga stretches for calf and hamstrings - downward dog it's called, it's a killer but it works wonders!
You may find that tight calf and hamstrings may be causing knee problems as a knock-on effect.
Get down the Quack's anyway to be on the safe side - medical practitioners we're not!

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
postman said:
I had surgery in Feb .Torn cartlidge stitched up and cleaning done,bits of crap washed out .
But like you the knee has always been swollen above the knee cap .But never on the other leg which i had done years ago .

No pain ,but last week i put it through some stiff work out .I decorated two rooms for couple ,through a church organization .

And wow more swelling and aching .This is it's first real test .

I think we both might have Arthritis and excessive amonts of movement may trigger some form of defence ie the swelling .
Give it a week or so then go see your GP if it's not better .Thats my plan .Just to be on the safe side .

And what i understand is,if it is Arthritis this will be a continuing problem .

You may well be right, come to think of it. Last surgeon said this was an inevitable consequence of the surgery and I am genetically pre-disposed (I appear to be genetically pre-disposed to everything - thanks Mum) as my mother had horrendous rheumatoid and osteo-arthritis. Fortunately I have escaped any real problems to date. I'll give it a week as you say and also stretch the surrounding muscles without forcing it.

Thanks all.

Bill Gates

My GP sent me for an X ray for my knee as he suspected arthritis. My other knee needs replacement surgery and is arthritic so it was logical that the pain was for the same reason. OK to train as it was painful but not doing any more damage. Wrong

X ray shows calcified cartilage and tears easily. One knackered knee is bad enough but both knees is causing real problerms; even walking is tough and no cycling until sorted. Weight is becoming an issue as well.

Sounds like arthritis, I get a bit after having a major knee reconstruction 12 years ago, I use pedals with free float which helps and take some supplements, if all else fails then a zapping session with a TENS machine sorts it out.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Snap, we both have knee problems! But everything you described is quite differant to mine and I hadnt even thought about Arthritis so didnt even think to worry about it and glad I didnt. Luckily for me, I now know whats up.

But good luck in the recovery, once your diagnosed, which you should get done sooner than later!

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Catrike UK said:
Sounds like arthritis, I get a bit after having a major knee reconstruction 12 years ago, I use pedals with free float which helps and take some supplements, if all else fails then a zapping session with a TENS machine sorts it out.

Yes, that might be worth a try.

My pedals are Frog free floating on the road bike. In fact I usually get problems when I use the commuter with Shimano SPD's, so something I need to change there asap as well.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Get it looked at professionally. The pain is there for a good reason and zapping it with TENS or drugs runs the risk of further damage being done. It could simply be tendonitis and a bit of rest and supprt will see it off, but better to be safe than sorry surely.

Top Bottom