Knee Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Maybe some of you clever people will know what this is:

My left knee makes a funny noise when I bend down. There is no pain, no strange feeling in it, nothing odd at all. Just the noise. If I'm on the bike for a long time, or am riding after a long time off it, I do get pain in it but it's usually no too bad and I'm not sure it's at all related.

So most of the time my knee feels perfectly normal except for this odd noise. Hard to describe but maybe like someone crushing a piece of cabbage? It does it every time I bend down.

Anyone know what it is?

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I get that, have done for years! I also get a loud click in my left knee whenever I stand up from a squat.

I think the funny noise is cartelige (or however you spell it!) rubbing against the inside of the knee-cap, perfectly normal.

The click in my case is due to ligament damage resulting from a knee dislocation a few years back.

I shouldn't worry about it!

Pottsy

I'd hope you didn't have cartilage rubbing against the inside of your knee cap XmisterIS. ;) Who told you that?

Some basic clicking sounds can just be pockets of air or fluid 'popping' or 'clicking' when released during movement in the joint. Nothing to worry about.

I'd worry if there is pain or discomfort, a restricted range of movement or a 'sticking' or 'locking' in the actual movement. Then go and see a professional.

Pottsy

In fact here's a better description from the web:

"When two parts forming a joint are pulled away from each other, the joint capsule increases in volume but the synovial fluid in the capsule no longer fills it all. Gases dissolved in the fluid quickly fill the empty space causing a sharp cracking sound. [7]. The general term for this is cavitation"

Beaker39

It's probably just wear and tear. If it is not giving way, swelling up or constant discomfort then I would worry too much.......it's when you hear it go SNAP :angry: - that's when I would start to worry!

Pottsy

Mr Pig said:
My son plays the drums and cracks his fingers all the time. I tell him it's bad for them. Am I wrong?

I've never found any evidence that this is bad for you, it's just the effect I described in my previous post.

Having said that, it is bl00dy annoying though so telling someone it's bad for them might be a good way of stopping them doing it. :ohmy:

Pottsy

Having said that, I would expect if you're getting this 'clicking' sound by hyper-extending or flexing a joint (pushing it beyond a normal range of movement), then yes, perhaps it could ultimately work out not to be good for that joint.

Top Bottom