Knighthood for Wiggins ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Blabbering about whether he should or should not get a knighthood is irrelevant, and pointless.

He is Tour de France champion, he is Olympic gold TT champion, and he won the raffle as well I believe.

ok - everybody stop now....

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Was he wearing a helmet at that point ......?
No he wasnt... if he was demanding compulsory helmet use- which i totally oppose btw-then its a bit dim considering how much that would scupper recreational cycling; but I suspect I'm preaching to the converted herebouts.

david k

Hi
If offered a knighthood I would hope he would turn it down...he gives anti-establishment vibes and jibes out all the time.
the latest was his comments about the start and finish at hampden palace being only for the Vip & prawn sandwich brigade-which is why he rode back among the fans....
Caught part of one interview where he was saying how much he despised british celebrity culture and he could never become one, so accepting a knighthood would be a tad two-faced.
Then again he could use the 'enchanced platform' to speak out as a cycling ambassador kind of thing...his comments this morning about helmets could be an indication this is possible...?

i can see how you make the link but i also feel he could accept and still carry his views

If offered a knighthood I would hope he would turn it down...he gives anti-establishment vibes and jibes out all the time.
the latest was his comments about the start and finish at hampden palace being only for the Vip & prawn sandwich brigade-which is why he rode back among the fans....
Caught part of one interview where he was saying how much he despised british celebrity culture and he could never become one, so accepting a knighthood would be a tad two-faced.
Then again he could use the 'enchanced platform' to speak out as a cycling ambassador kind of thing...his comments this morning about helmets could be an indication this is possible...?

I knew little of Wiggins when he was a track rider; just his name. When he came to road racing I didn't warm to him. I don't know why. Now I find he comes across very well and neatly straddles the fissure between likeable media artlessness and comfort with his new status.

I imagine he will be offered a knighthood and I imagine he'll accept it. Part of me hopes he doesn't get offered it until he retires from racing. A racing knight of the realm seems odd to me (with Chris Hoy as a precedent).

But I'm not sure Wiggins is quite as anti-establishment as he's painted. He glories in the tradition of his sport and he deeply respects the 'establishment' behind pro-racing. He respects the ceremonies and procedures and protocols behind his sport.

His gripe (if it is as much as that) seems to be with undeserved celebrity rather than celebrity itself. Celebrity used to be a less tainted notion than it is now.

It seems to me that he is aware of how hard he's worked to get where he is and I imagine he'll have what's going as he's worked for it. He seems to have a lot of integrity and modesty. A knighthood (if eventually offered) would taint neither of these qalities.

He should be honoured of course but not with a feudal title – I can't be the only one who cringes every time Chris Hoy is referred to with his handle and I can't help thinking Chris does too. Yesterday in particular I thought it was unfair to Phil and Jason to elevate Chris thus.

The Belgians had the right idea – name a Tube station after him. Stratford would be ideal, but I favour King's Cross in honour also of all the cyclists who have met a sticky end in the road outside.

Burnt Oak
Hair O on the Hill? It is a good idea actually - to rename something - as well as painting the town post boxes red gold. In my world, there would be silver and bronze paint available too. A lasting celebration of excellence.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
He should be honoured of course but not with a feudal title – I can't be the only one who cringes every time Chris Hoy is referred to with his handle and I can't help thinking Chris does too. Yesterday in particular I thought it was unfair to Phil and Jason to elevate Chris thus.

The Belgians had the right idea – name a Tube station after him. Stratford would be ideal, but I favour King's Cross in honour also of all the cyclists who have met a sticky end in the road outside.

Hmmm, if we have Wiggins Cross we should also have Froome's Furious.

Top Bottom