Knighthood for Wiggins ?

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Silver Fox, 2 Aug 2012.

1. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Guru

I'd put money on it.

david k likes this.
  2. probably inevitable since the other olympic multi-medal winners (Hoy, Redgrave, Pinsent) have them already.....

3. Done deal and BBC SPOTY i'd say

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  4. GaryA

GaryA Subversive Sage

If offered a knighthood I would hope he would turn it down...he gives anti-establishment vibes and jibes out all the time.
    the latest was his comments about the start and finish at hampden palace being only for the Vip & prawn sandwich brigade-which is why he rode back among the fans....
    Caught part of one interview where he was saying how much he despised british celebrity culture and he could never become one, so accepting a knighthood would be a tad two-faced.
    Then again he could use the 'enchanced platform' to speak out as a cycling ambassador kind of thing...his comments this morning about helmets could be an indication this is possible...?

5. Let's hope not then, if his comments about compulsory helmets were accurately reported.

6. PaulB

PaulB Guru

I hope that he turns it down too. I cannot understand the clamour for him to be offered it. There's also a pro-knigthood/anti-knigthhood battle going on elsewhere which is embarrassing in the extreme to witness. David Bowie did the right thing when he was offered one.

Mad Doug Biker likes this.
  7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Wiggins did not call for helmets to be made compulsory despite what has been reported. He said people should wear them, which is a different thing altogether.

8. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Wiggins was already a multiple Olympic Gold medal winner 4 years ago. So you could argue that he should already have a knighthood and with this gold and other achievements he should be upgraded to something beyond that.

That's if you go in for such frivolities. I strongly agree with some of the other sentiments on this thread.

9. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

I think he should be made King Bradley, Lord of everything, we can chuck that German lot out then.

10. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

The DailyMash already appointed him King of the Fields and Streams. Just quoting that piece for the sake of it on a tenuous link to this thread, still find it funny :laugh:.

threebikesmcginty likes this.
  11. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Blabbering about whether he should or should not get a knighthood is irrelevant, and pointless.

He is Tour de France champion, he is Olympic gold TT champion, and he won the raffle as well I believe.

12. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

Quite! I know which I'd rather, unfortunately I'm more likely to get a knighthood, haven't got a clue what for though - being a nobber maybe.

13. Lurpak

Lurpak not interested mate

I think Sir Chris Hoy should get another knighthood for his services to knighthoods.

nick.b, Fnaar, theclaud and 3 others like this.
  14. 400bhp

400bhp Guru

This x 1 feckin million.

Perhaps this says more about us than him.

15. Strathlubnaig

Strathlubnaig Veteran

the whole knighthood bol**x and everything that goes with it belongs in the dark ages.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice