Knocked down a pedestrian today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
in a ped heavy area where they tend to cross, of course, usually I'm worried about car doors and people pulling across as the y slow

Ian Johnson

BentMikey said:
HiViz failure yet again.

Back on topic, I don't see anything wrong with what they did. Their journey is just as important to them as yours was to you. They are not jay walkers, they are other road users.
So its ok to walk infront of a bike doing 23+ mph !! I was aware they where about to cross and slowed a little. I expected the woman to wait until I had passed. Had I been a car or motorbike she would have waited no doubt ,perhaps she just didnt see me or misjudged speed.I think jaywalking is not the right term. Good job I was looking ahead at the time and didnt have to brake hard

hackbike 6

HiViz failure yet again.

I've seen your video with the tight stop on that junction.SMIDSY.

How many is that?

Happy to say I haven't had anything like that for years.Long may it continue.

I even remember where the last one was and what the reason for it was.
Sun was directly behind me blinding motorist on the junction.(Bethnal Green)

Yes I know sometime it will happen.

Yes generally Peds don't see me some of the time as they only tend to look once hear no engine noise and think it is ok.

Yes I know if motorist is in a hurry or can't be bothered to look then Hi-Viz is useless.

hackbike 6

You were lucky I had 3 peds run from the other side of the road a few years ago and I collided with them.They didn't see me.

I didn't see them till they were in front of me and I wrote off a bike over that one.

Peds are lethal.

That ped at the lights,that is normal here...must cross at all costs attitude.

Makes me look more at how I cross the road.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
hackbike 6 said:
HiViz failure yet again.

I've seen your video with the tight stop on that junction.SMIDSY.

Do you mean my nearly over the bonnet video? Since the driver didn't see my extremely bright front lights, he wouldn't have seen hiviz either. Even if I had been wearing hiviz there, I doubt the reflectives would have been visible behind the glare of my front lights anyway.

hackbike 6

How many of these lights have you got? Are they those fenix things?
This is like the hi-viz thing.I wear hi-viz so he must see me.It doesn't go does it? Same with lights.Obviously I have my lights set up right as i have no trouble at night.I think that even though you think you know it all you have a lot to learn.
Regards x x

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No, this time they were EL-530s, but still blindingly bright. Of course the difference is that lights are active, whilst hiviz is passive, and not effective by comparison.

I'd be the first to admit I have plenty to learn, and the last to claim I know it all. I seem to remember mentioning with this incident that just before it my danger sense was twitching, and this time I ignored it. Mistake! But not as big a mistake as the driver made, by a long way.

hackbike 6

Fair enough.I get that with junctions.I had a terrible ride back last week I was so twitchy at every junction perhaps because it was wet and there were leaves everywhere.

Just for reference have you got two lights the same?

Do you have a flashing front light?

Im not going to go on wasting my time discussing this.

I know what works for me and when im talking to a brick wall.

I looked up EL530 so you have two of these?
I had one of these once but now use different lights.

Regards xx

Apologies...Was going to erase the know it all comment but you saw it first.

I think it is actually irrelevant.

Top Bottom