Knocked down a pedestrian today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Some peds are really dozy, it's usually either a phone or mp3 which distracts them :biggrin: . Thankfully I don't encounter that many apart from school kids on Defoe road.

On my tour earlier in the year we had one ped crossing the road chatting on the mobile phone.

My buddy was too late to maneuver and crossed in front of her, I had a little more time and went behind. I glanced back - she hadn't even noticed.

Make no sound? We don't exist!

yenrod

Dudi I know what happens if I dont lookwhen i cross the road !

Stupid woman should have looked instead of being a robot !

Now shes got a broken nose and will never live it down with her friends 'how did you do that - got knocked down by a cyclist'

:biggrin:

:biggrin:

Jake

I had someone tonight decided to walk across infront of me, (my light was green, pedestrian light RED), and he had the nerve to tell me to "learn how to cycle"!!!! I gave him 2 barrels of my somerset lingo! will post the clip tomorrow as off to bed.

Regarding orginal post, feel sorry for you as it sounds pretty bad. lucky for her you were not a car.

Maizie

Veteran
dudi said:
Made me think. should we all have public liability insurance? just in case!?
My home contents insurance includes public liability. So if you have contents insurance, check it out, as you may find you are already covered...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Glad you are OK.....I know what it's like - had an errant one on a dual carriageway last week..... oldish fella crossing the road, can see me coming at speed, the road's fairly fast, wide, good visability...oh no - keeps head straight ahead....I time it and whizz right past the front of him - give him a good few feet, but I was then in the 'left turning' slip road', before rejoining the carriageway.....

AdamBlade

Peds can be even worse when they have brollies up like this morning. Head down, can't hear cars so just go. I could see it coming so made sure I got as close as possible, safely of course, to make sure they knew I was there.

ferret fur

It isn't exactly true that peds have right of way at a junction if you are turning into their steet. What the Highway Code actually says is:

'watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way'.

Thus it is only if they have started to cross. This means is that if they look and see you coming they should not start to go. Clearly you have got to give way once they step without looking, but the key point is that they shouldn't be there if they are a competent road user & bothered to look.

Trillian

ferret fur said:
It isn't exactly true that peds have right of way at a junction if you are turning into their steet. What the Highway Code actually says is:

'watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way'.

in theory,

however in coventry there are a few roads that people just stream across to the point that your in danger if you stop for them, even in a car

you have to physically block them from crossing by edgeing into the junction, even then some people will continue to walk round the front of you.

Tynan

Veteran
ferret fur said:

no-one said it was

theclaud

Openly Marxist
hackbike 6 said:
They seem to have a right of way to do what they like.

Unfortunately they do put themselves in danger without thinking.

The point of the article FM posted is that they ought to be able to go pretty much wherever they like, without having to be in a constant state of vigilance because of fast-moving traffic. The danger arises because the traffic assumes that pedestrians ought to keep out of its way.

hackbike 6

Yeah and my point was that I was confronted by a ped crossing dangerously in heavy moving traffic yesterday as I was between traffic I saw him ok but I was not amused.Yeah also had to blow the horns to warn him of my approaching presence .

Strange it happening there though as it's not normal plus there were some traffic lights 50 yards up the road (either way).Then again peds cross wherever they feel like.

Now don't get me wrong,I don't mind them crossing without using the lights but I wish they would do it without a blatent disregard to everyone else.

Top Bottom