Knocked off by teenager.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I was riding through a village and noticed 3 teenagers on bmx’s at the side of the road on the pavement. As I got to them doing 21mph one decided to cross without looking straight into my path. Hit his back wheel came flying off. Luckily only cuts and bruises. I’m not happy about ripped bar tape, scuffed rear mech and pedal. I shouted a few choice words at him, wanted to punch him but restrained as he was only about 16. His chav mates were just laughing. As I felt my self getting more wound up I just got on & road away before anything could escalate. If I had been a car or motorcycle he’d have been hurt. There’s so many stupid people around these days you can’t enjoy anything anymore.
Good thing I wasn’t on a £6,500 Cervelo S5 like my friend bought the other day.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Good patience skills. Respect.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Obviously some will say you should have slowed when you spotted the hazard. Either way, I'm glad both you and the bike have only scrapes to show for it as it obviously could have been so much worse.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm glad you are pretty much OK. Teenagers do a lot of daft things without thinking or looking. It probably won't be much of a consolation, but I think we all did.

Crankarm

Guru
I was riding through a village and noticed 3 teenagers on bmx’s at the side of the road on the pavement. As I got to them doing 21mph one decided to cross without looking straight into my path. Hit his back wheel came flying off. Luckily only cuts and bruises. I’m not happy about ripped bar tape, scuffed rear mech and pedal. I shouted a few choice words at him, wanted to punch him but restrained as he was only about 16. His chav mates were just laughing. As I felt my self getting more wound up I just got on & road away before anything could escalate. If I had been a car or motorcycle he’d have been hurt. There’s so many stupid people around these days you can’t enjoy anything anymore.
Good thing I wasn’t on a £6,500 Cervelo S5 like my friend bought the other day.

You say three teenagers about 16 years old, one deliberately crossed the road in front of you causing you to crash, the others laughed ........... I would suggest you felt out numbered and intimidated. Riding away was probably the best course of action for you as they probably would have got the better of you had you escalated it. Why didn't you call the police or if you felt able sort it out yourself? Anything for a Strava segment. 21mph through a village on a bicycle is quite fast. Are you sure they saw you before the guy started to cross? Maybe they didn't anticipate you riding that fast toward them?

Crankarm

Guru
[QUOTE 5275379, member: 9609"]we barely get through a week on CC without one of us coming a cropper. we need safer roads

21 would be unusually slow in a car

----------------

Edit - (and in no way am I suggesting cycling is dangerous)[/QUOTE]

Errrr ...... not necessarily. Remember it was in a village with youfs hanging around.

bladesman73

Über Member
You say three teenagers about 16 years old, one deliberately crossed the road in front of you causing you to crash, the others laughed ........... I would suggest you felt out numbered and intimidated. Riding away was probably the best course of action for you as they probably would have got the better of you had you escalated it. Why didn't you call the police or if you felt able sort it out yourself? Anything for a Strava segment. 21mph through a village on a bicycle is quite fast. Are you sure they saw you before the guy started to cross? Maybe they didn't anticipate you riding that fast toward them?
first off how do you know they would have got the better of him? Also 21mph is not too fast to ride anywhere.

Crankarm

Guru
first off how do you know they would have got the better of him? Also 21mph is not too fast to ride anywhere.

Three sixteen year old teenagers loitering on bmx bikes up to no good, our victim dressed in Lycra, speeding through the village like an Exocet missile, bang, boom, boof, he crashes into one of the youfs who decided to cross the road on his BMX in front of him as he passes. Lying in the road our victim quickly surveys his situation, gets up, balancing on his cleats, clutching his damaged road bike, cursing and swearing .......... from a distance while the youfs laugh at him. Now tell me who is likely to come off worse if the situation escalated? Maybe the youfs had knives, most do these days. I shouldn't imagine a sleepy village has been immune to the upsurge in knife crime.

Maybe 21mph is not too fast to ride anywhere but it might haven been a tad too fast riding through this village upsetting the locals.

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Reminds me of an article i saw where some teenagers deliberately rolled a beater out infront of some cyclists during the Dunwich Dynamo. Unfortunately one cyclist had to end his trip there and catch the train home as he was too close to avoid a collision and the impact done some odd jobs on his bike while he got a few scrapes a scratches and didn't want to risk mechanical in the middle of nowhere.

Not a lot you can do about it sadly. Their parents failed to raise them properly and instill with them some respect for other people

Top Bottom