Knocked off by teenager.

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Milzy, 12 Jun 2018.

1. Milzy

Milzy Veteran

I was riding through a village and noticed 3 teenagers on bmx’s at the side of the road on the pavement. As I got to them doing 21mph one decided to cross without looking straight into my path. Hit his back wheel came flying off. Luckily only cuts and bruises. I’m not happy about ripped bar tape, scuffed rear mech and pedal. I shouted a few choice words at him, wanted to punch him but restrained as he was only about 16. His chav mates were just laughing. As I felt my self getting more wound up I just got on & road away before anything could escalate. If I had been a car or motorcycle he’d have been hurt. There’s so many stupid people around these days you can’t enjoy anything anymore.
    Good thing I wasn’t on a £6,500 Cervelo S5 like my friend bought the other day.

mustang1 likes this.
  2. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Good patience skills. Respect.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2018
    mustang1, Banjo and Milzy like this.
  3. Elysian_Roads

Elysian_Roads Senior Member

Not good at all. Glad to hear that you weren't seriously hurt, or the bike wasn't badly damaged. Good that you kept it under control as well. Take care.

Banjo and Milzy like this.
  4. Slick

Slick Veteran

Obviously some will say you should have slowed when you spotted the hazard. Either way, I'm glad both you and the bike have only scrapes to show for it as it obviously could have been so much worse.

Pat "5mph" and Milzy like this.
  5. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

Yes, you should have slowed down when you spotted these idiots.

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Jun 2018
    Milzy likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Milzy

Milzy Veteran

You’re right, even if you’re hammering a segment or just on a flyer, you need to forget all that and slow down. I will ride more defensively in the future.

7. Slick

Slick Veteran

Difficult to be perfect every day. :okay:

dave r, Pat "5mph" and Banjo like this.
  8. @Milzy glad you bounced, also happy you learned that groups of teenagers are stochastic systems whose movements are effectively random with so little damage. It's a cost of living in a densely populated country.

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Jun 2018
    Milzy, Gravity Aided, Alan O and 5 others like this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

I'm glad you are pretty much OK. Teenagers do a lot of daft things without thinking or looking. It probably won't be much of a consolation, but I think we all did.

Milzy, theclaud and Banjo like this.
  10. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

You say three teenagers about 16 years old, one deliberately crossed the road in front of you causing you to crash, the others laughed ........... I would suggest you felt out numbered and intimidated. Riding away was probably the best course of action for you as they probably would have got the better of you had you escalated it. Why didn't you call the police or if you felt able sort it out yourself? Anything for a Strava segment. 21mph through a village on a bicycle is quite fast. Are you sure they saw you before the guy started to cross? Maybe they didn't anticipate you riding that fast toward them?

Milzy and Alan O like this.
  11. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

we barely get through a week on CC without one of us coming a cropper. we need safer roads

21 would be unusually slow in a car

----------------

Edit - (and in no way am I suggesting cycling is dangerous)

Milzy and gavintc like this.
  12. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

Errrr ...... not necessarily. Remember it was in a village with youfs hanging around.

Milzy likes this.
  13. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

the only time people drive as slow as 21 is when they are parking them in the garage.

Milzy likes this.
  14. bladesman73

bladesman73 Senior Member

first off how do you know they would have got the better of him? Also 21mph is not too fast to ride anywhere.

Milzy likes this.
  15. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

Yeah right ........ joker.

Milzy and Dogtrousers like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice