Knocked off today. What should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, I’m not sure whether I’ve done the right thing or not.

i rant him with the quote £840. He fell of his chair! We did agree a deal in the end where he’d pay for broken parts but not scratched pedals and a small (very small)) scratch on chain set. So we settled on £600. I intend to claim for helmet and clothing on home insurance, very small increase in premium next year.

He was anxious not to claim and I can’t say I wasn‘t especially keen on the idea of getting a solicitor involved to argue with them. Then it would probably have taken several months to sort out plus time and trouble. So he’s got off lightly really and I’m broadly satisfied with outcome. I noted on my receipt for him that the sum was for bike repairs only. So if down the line injuries prove to be something I can go back to his insurance. I have all his details And all conversations recorded.

3 days on I still have a few aches and pains but no more than you’d expect. I think I’m going to see how I feel tomorrow and decide whether to go and get checked over.
You should have got yourself checked over. Hope you've no injuries that won't take too long to heal.

I might be wrong, but if you try to claim for the helmet and clothing on your home insurance, you'll be turned down. At best they'll go through his insurance company, with more than a slight increase in your premium.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
He was anxious not to claim
That alone makes me think he is intending not to tell his insurer about the incident, which is fraud.

But I've made a similar mistake myself of settling too low and not going through insurance, mainly because I wasn't confident about how notoriously-pro-motorist local courts would view my road position at time of collision and partly because I agreed while I still had adrenaline flowing.

Top Bottom