Knocked off today. What should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, a first for me today.

Elderly driver turns right, straight into side of me. I just couldn’t get out of the way.

The fella was a real gent. Couldn’t have been more apologetic, explained the sun was in his eyes and he just didn’t see me. Left me his details and politely said he’d pay for any damage straight away. I suspect he doesn’t realise how expensive modern bikes are.

im a bit bruised but fine.

initiialy I thought bike was fine. Then I noticed a buckled front wheel so I called at bike shop to ask them to true it. He couldn’t do it successfully as rim was bent. The he said I should have new forks if they’re carbon. Then he noticed damaged bars, shifter, chain set and derailleu.

im waiting hi quotation but I think it’s going to mount up and I’m a bit concerned the old guy will die of shock

now he may say ‘okay’ and send a cheque, he may want to claim on his insurance, he’s got a couple of dents in his bonnet from my head and hip.

how should I proceed after I’ve got the quotation and gone back to him? Should I claim for a new helmet too - it was just over £100.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Prince Philip is back on the road?

Are you a member of Cycling UK, do you have any insurance who could deal with it for you?

Claim for everything as necessary. The helmet is useless now, other than as a nesting site for birds. Don't forget to get assessed for any damage to yourself.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As you fear, offers to pay in the heat of the moment often don't translate into hard cash.

No harm in giving him one chance, particularly as that is what you said you would do, but he needs to understand if he doesn't pay immediately you will seek to recover the money by other means.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
was the incident reported to the plod?i think by law they are supposed to inform them in a given time period
Also catalogue any injuries with photos ,write in down as injurries might come out later that you might have problems with, whn i was hit in a similar manner i told the insurance company if they paid the quote in full i wouldn't pursue a personal injury claim and they paid up asap

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Accident should be reported to Police. Your injuries may (I am not saying are) be minor, but, you never know. If he is willing to pay, for damage to your bike, fine, but, I think I would want his Insurance details, just in case. ;)

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Get every thing down in writing before you forget anything like time, place ,what happened etc Sticking to facts and not what you thought was going to happen. Remember to include he admitted it and willing to pay for damage.

Remember to include what the weather was like and back it up with forecast. Maybe a good idea to get pics of the place of accident. photos of damage to bike , helmet and any bit of you injured.

Get the quote and cost of new helmet and then claim for everything. Give him a chance to pay if not then other options are open to you.

If it the coming days you do get pain or signs of injury. Then unless your at deaths door or showing sides of a head injury. Don’t go to a and e anything over 24 hours and it will be classed as low clinical need and you will be at the bottom of list. Plus they’ve enough to do. Better off getting a checked over by the practice nurse at the gp’s. They can also document anything if you need to have it recorded.

Milzy

Guru
Claim for everything on his insurance. His premium will be cheap as it is been an old boy. Worst that will happen to him is that his premium may go up by £50 a year.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
1. Report to plod for careless driving, get crime number.

2. Go to doctors for check up. Get photos of damage to bike and cuts and bruises.

3. Present entire bill including damages to clothes etc. Point out that you are offering to waive your personal injury claim (this would be larger).

4. Go to solicitors immediately should lack payment from "gent " not be prompt.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't ride the bike until you've been checked over. Keep an eye on your vision. If you do go to hospital, take the helmet with you. It can give them an idea of which area(s) took a hit.

Unable to edit the first post.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Based on my own experience give him the quote and let him decide.

When I was hit the driver decided to go through insurance, I photographed my bike and sent the photos along with the written quote from the bike shop, I also told them that the driver had admitted liability straight away, there was a bit of haggling from the insuror but they quickly paid up, I think it helped that I made no claim for any personal injuries.

Photos or it never happened. Whatever the driver says, the insurance company will deny any incident unless you can prove otherwise.

Top Bottom