Knocked off today. What should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, a first for me today.

Elderly driver turns right, straight into side of me. I just couldn’t get out of the way.

The fella was a real gent. Couldn’t have been more apologetic, explained the sun was in his eyes and he just didn’t see me. Left me his details and politely said he’d pay for any damage straight away. I suspect he doesn’t realise how expensive modern bikes are.

im a bit bruised but fine.

initiialy I thought bike was fine. Then I noticed a buckled front wheel so I called at bike shop to ask them to true it. He couldn’t do it successfully as rim was bent. The he said I should have new forks if they’re carbon. Then he noticed damaged bars, shifter, chain set and derailleu.

im waiting hi quotation but I think it’s going to mount up and I’m a bit concerned the old guy will die of shock

now he may say ‘okay’ and send a cheque, he may want to claim on his insurance, he’s got a couple of dents in his bonnet from my head and hip.

how should I proceed after I’ve got the quotation and gone back to him? Should I claim for a new helmet too - it was just over £100.
Glad you are relatively OK. An elderly driver drove into the back of me 6 years ago. They offered to pay initially until they found out the cost of the bike and then decided to go through their insurance. It was a sub £200 Viking :ohmy:

Go through insurance, as it takes any aggro out of the equation. He, and you have a statutory duty to report any accident involving an injury, I believe within 48 hrs. Read the accident advice thread.
I'm glad your not seriously hurt BTW

Drago

Legendary Member
Sun was in his eyes? Then why was he moving? Gent or not, people who insist on not pulling over when they can not see are absolute menaces, and its but for the grace of god you're not pushing up daisies. At best that's negligent, at worst utterly murderous behaviour.

Injury RTAs must be reported to a constable as soon as is reasonably practicable, and in any case within 24 hours. There is no defence in law for failing to do so, only mitigation.

Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Keep receipts for everything, even parking tickets if you attend any medicals.

Get a new helmet.

Take photos of any bruising.

DONT tell anyone your fine. I thought I was just bruised in a Smidsy but turned out to have a grade 2 separated shoulder.

In addition to the jobs that need doing on the bike get a written quote for any cosmetic repairs.

Put the whole lot through Thier insurance. All you need is Thier name and reg. No. Claim compensation too even if it is just bruising. Approach your home insurance or works union to see if you have legal cover, if not use a no win no fee loyer such as Irwin Mitchell.

Kick it off tomorrow - make the phone call.

ozboz

Guru
Claim for everything on his insurance. His premium will be cheap as it is been an old boy. Worst that will happen to him is that his premium may go up by £50 a year.
My renewal insurance quote went up so much when I passed 65 that I couldn’t jump over it ! not cheap for this older boy !!
Good to know your ok ,

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There is no need to report this to the police as it appears to be a damage only accident. Had the gentleman been a total arxe about it, you could report it to the police in the vain hope of him being reported.

Get a written quote and deliver it to him. He can pay himself or get his insurance to deal with it. If that is the case you may need legal advice. Take lots of damage photos.

classic33

Leg End Member
There is no need to report this to the police as it appears to be a damage only accident. Had the gentleman been a total arxe about it, you could report it to the police in the vain hope of him being reported.

Get a written quote and deliver it to him. He can pay himself or get his insurance to deal with it. If that is the case you may need legal advice. Take lots of damage photos.
Of himself and the bike.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
To add to what others have said, injuries may not appear until some time has elapsed. You may wake up tomorrow and discover soreness or strained muscles and/or joints, so any comments you make to the police, or anyone else for that matter should carry a caveat. Personally I would give it 48 hours before the extent of any intial damage is known.
As well as keeping receipts, make notes of all telephone calls, (date, content and duration) as well as of journeys to the bike shop, chemist etc.

OP
OP
T

Thegreatthor

Über Member
Well, I’m not sure whether I’ve done the right thing or not.

i rant him with the quote £840. He fell of his chair! We did agree a deal in the end where he’d pay for broken parts but not scratched pedals and a small (very small)) scratch on chain set. So we settled on £600. I intend to claim for helmet and clothing on home insurance, very small increase in premium next year.

He was anxious not to claim and I can’t say I wasn‘t especially keen on the idea of getting a solicitor involved to argue with them. Then it would probably have taken several months to sort out plus time and trouble. So he’s got off lightly really and I’m broadly satisfied with outcome. I noted on my receipt for him that the sum was for bike repairs only. So if down the line injuries prove to be something I can go back to his insurance. I have all his details And all conversations recorded.

3 days on I still have a few aches and pains but no more than you’d expect. I think I’m going to see how I feel tomorrow and decide whether to go and get checked over.

Top Bottom