know your wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

peanut

well In Peanut's defence I have to say its the first one he has caught in 10 years.
We live on a mill site with a leat and river Parrot. There are no shorage of Water voles here. They actually run down the road in front of our bikes !:smile:

I'll have a word with him later :smile:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Noodley said:
Wee Joe might be right (for a change :rolleyes:)

"Ratty" from Wind in the Willows was a Water Vole IIRC.

And it deffo not a rat.

One of a pair of slippers?

I am always right, and you know it!!!;)
Anyway, im sure these water voles originated from somewhere with evolution.
Can water voles breed with other things? Would they look at a gunie pig and just think it was another water vole thats missing a tail?

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
I cant actualy see the pic I am just getting the little box with thee red cross, but am concened as if it is a water vole then people (ye I know it was a cat)! should not be killing them.
Water voles look a bit like a rat but don't have the pointy nose they have a much rounder nose. They do get given a hard time, but do not behave like rats at all.

Joe24

djtheglove said:
I cant actualy see the pic I am just getting the little box with thee red cross, but am concened as if it is a water vole then people (ye I know it was a cat)! should not be killing them.
Water voles look a bit like a rat but don't have the pointy nose they have a much rounder nose. They do get given a hard time, but do not behave like rats at all.

Are they protected or is that just you saying they shouldnt be killed?
If they arent protected then its fair game isnt it

DJ

Joe24 said:
So i cant go out vole hunting then? Damn:sad:
I wonder what they taste like:wacko:

Well you know I am not against killing animals for sport, and indeed actualy quite enjoy getting a rat in the head with an air gun, but some animals should be left alone especially if they are endangered.

OP
OP
P

peanut

djtheglove said:
Well you know I am not against killing animals for sport, and indeed actualy quite enjoy getting a rat in the head with an air gun, but some animals should be left alone especially if they are endangered.
Oh and before everyone gets on there horse, Foxes are not endangered and should be considered fair game, IMO.

foxes are still British wildlife :biggrin: but you just kill anything that isn't endangered for fun yes.

DJ

peanut said:
foxes are still British wildlife :biggrin: but you just kill anything that isn't endangered for fun yes.

Sorry I dont get it? What has British got to do with it? Oh and no I have never killed a fox but if other people want to then it's fine by me.

Joe24

foxes are vermin, end of.
They are down there with rats and other vermin. Do you mind the killing of rats? No, you probably dont. So whats the difference with foxes then? Is it because you see them and think, "awwwww look at that fox"
Do you think the same with rats? No(unless you are a rat lover)
foxes are fair game i say

Joe24

sticky sherbert said:
are humans endangered?

No, probably about time for a cull. Maybe these virus' are going around to cull to act as the cull, but humans keep using the superior technology to make a resistance that stops the cull?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Joe24 said:
foxes are vermin, end of.
They are down there with rats and other vermin. Do you mind the killing of rats? No, you probably dont. So whats the difference with foxes then? Is it because you see them and think, "awwwww look at that fox"
Do you think the same with rats? No(unless you are a rat lover)
foxes are fair game i say

Who are you talking to, Joe?:biggrin:

Top Bottom