Kona Dew Deluxe 2010 - to buy or not to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrius.B

Hi!
This is my first post in cyclechat!

I am getting my first hybrid bike, and found a used kona dew deluxe 2010 on gumtree for 275 quid.
It goes for around 650 new, so I thought that it is quite a good deal (the seller says the bike is in excellent condition).

So, what do you think? Is it worth it? Or should I look for something else? note that I don't want to spend more than 300 pounds.

Here are the specs:

Frame tubing Kona 7005 Aluminum Butted
Rear Shock N/A
Fork Kona P2 700C
Headset TH
Crankarms FSA Alpha Drive (45-54=170, 56-60=175mm)
Chainrings 48/38/28
B/B RPM 7420
Pedals Wellgo LU-A9 / Xerama SP-500
Chain Shimano HG40
Freewheel Shimano HG40 (11-34, 8spd)
F/D Shimano Altus
R/D Shimano Deore
Shifters Shimano Acera
Handlebar Kona XC/BC Riser (31.8mm x 620mm Wide)
Stem Kona Road (6°± , 45-49=75, 52-56=90, 58-62=100mm)
Grips Kona Race Light
Brakes Shimano 486 Hydraulic Disc 6"
Brake Levers Shimano 486 Hydraulic Disc
Front hub Formula Disc
Rear hub Shimano M475 Disc
Spokes Sandvik Stainless 15g fr/14g rr
Tires Continental CountryRide 700x37C
Rims Rigida ZAC 2000
Saddle Kona Comfort
Seatpost Kona Road
Seat clamp Kona QR

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
I had a Kona Dr Dew for a few years for commuting and it was bomb-proof and would recommend them to anyone. They're a sturdy build, very versatile in traffic, and quite nippy when you want to get a move on.

I'm sure you can bargain the price down a little bit too!

OP
OP
Andrius.B

Andrius.B

Thanks for a reply Ashtrayhead.
I will go to check the bike out in a few days, does anyone have any particular tips of what to check to make sure the bike is ok?
Also, what by how much do you think I should try to get the price down?

vickster

Legendary Member
Ask to see a receipt if possible, if not go with your gut on whether it's nicked or not - lots of nicked bikes - try to meet somewhere that doesn't sound dodgy. Ask when last serviced, whether ever crashed, what has been spent on the bike etc. Sounds about the right price for the spec I'd say - offer £225, maybe settle at £250, but £275 doesn't sound unreasonable

OP
OP
Andrius.B

Andrius.B

Got the bike today.
The frame is maybe one or two cm too small but besides that everything is perfect. All of the components are in great condition.
Now I just need to get some panniers, lights and a lock and I will be ready to commute on this one. :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Kona's are great bikes. Used to commute on a Kona Dew, now commute on a Kona Honky.
If you are looking for a pannier, there is a brand new one for sale HERE :thumbsup:

Top Bottom