KTM Revelator Sky Di2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Having got reet back into road cycling this year, I'd been pondering a few circa £3k plastic bikes. I appreciate that like most of us, I'm a weaker link than the bike, but if you can, you will.

First up and on the radar for a while was either a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 Di2, except the colours turned crap for 2016 and anyway, I want a bike that will arrive in time for the thick end of 2016. I might have been overstepping my, err, more 'sportive' physique with that one anyway....

Then the KTM Revelator Sky Black Di2 caught my attention and added discs. Given that I will never be a lightweight and have had a couple of close calls (wet and dry) that I would easily have backed out of on my MTB, this has a certain attraction. Geometry wise and post discussions with the UK distributor, I can get it into very much the same ride position as my RT-58. There is the added bonus (vain, I know) that you ain't gonna find 20 others to park it next to on a ride out.

I splashed it on my desktop to see if the idea wore off and three months later it's still there, so it's definitely under the skin.

Then per chance, I saw the Orro Gold Disc STC Di2. Now, I know that calling it a 'British' bike is stretching the definition a bit, but careful comparison of the geometry puts it slap bang in the middle of my ballpark and there is a local Orro dealer but 3 miles distant. If they did the dreamy red/gold paint job of the Signature Edition for the same £2.8k, the discussion would be over, because I'm nursing a semi just thinking about it!

The thing is, in my other life, I've just done a similar thing that i-ride have done with Orro, but in the world of loudspeakers. I know that it's possible to use your OEM contacts through other brands, cut out a middle man and deliver some exceptional value as a result. I think that the speculation that Orro is De Rosa on the cheap vastly over simplifies differences you can request in carbon layup, even if the same moulds are used. Orro could be a higher spec, but you'll not get them to comment one way or the other. The reviews are good though.

Talking De Rosa; I've had repeated looks around at the Italian stuff and decided that you seem to give up a lot on the wheels/groupset/finishing kit for the money, assuming you're getting an uber frame as compensation. Likewise, I can't seem to get my juices flowing over the Ti stuff just yet, but that may be an N+1 for the future when I've got plastic into, or out of my system.

I suppose what I'm asking is there anything out there in the sub £3k Sportives with discs that I've missed, given that I'm not going to buy anything with Trek/Spesh/etc written on it? Indeed, has anybody been through a similar journey, latterly given in and bought a Taiwan Tastic and wished they'd done it sooner?

Sorry for the Russ ramble, but I like to paint a picture!

Russell

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I took a long hard look at the KTM myself. It's an absolute stunning looking bike and not part of the general pack either (Spesh, Trek, BIanchi etc). In all my years of cycling I have only ever seen one in the flesh. Even though it wasn't the Revelator, it was a gorgeous looking bike. Spoke to the chap riding it and he said he loved it.

The Orro I have also been looking at. Lovely,cwell made bikes. Bung Orro in the search box as there are a couple of threads from members who have one.

There's also a long running thread on YACF called Disc Braked Road Bike Goodness. A member bought the KTM.

Which one for me? Tough to choose. They are both great bikes. But the KTM just shades it.

Mr @smutchin may have a learned opinion also.

outlash

also available in orange
If I had circa £3k, I'd be looking at a Steel or Ti frame but TBH, either of those two look nice. The Orro edges it on looks as specs-wise they're pretty much the same..As a curveball, what about the Genesis Datum 30? has Ultegra Di2, hydro discs and is getting a lot of positive reviews.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I looked at The Datum 30 early on and much as I'd like it to in principle, it just doesn't float my boat. I don't know why, but perhaps irrationally, I'm not interested in anything that isn't purely focused on riding on tarmac, plus it does look rather dull.

I might nip up to The Cambridge Cycle Company this afternoon and have a look at the Datum. They do Ridley too, plus I think they have a Trek Domane 6.2 disc, just as a reality check!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Mr @smutchin may have a learned opinion also.

No first hand experience, alas - we had one on test recently and m'colleague loved it but it didn't come into the office, went straight out to the tester, so I didn't get to see it close up.

One very similar (on paper) bike that I do have first hand experience of is the Orbea Avant. If I had around £3k to spend, the Avant M20id (Di2, discs) would be a prime contender. Fast and comfortable ride, very stable handling, ideal for long days in the saddle (ie audaxes).

Another one worth considering is the new Boardman SLR Endurance range - we've got the Di2-equipped 9.4 model (£3,099) in the office at the moment and although I haven't ridden it yet, it looks gorgeous. There is a disc brake version but it's a bit more expensive.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Thanks for that. The local Orro dealer (C6 Bikes) also carry Orbea and Boardman and when I dropped by a while ago, the 2015 Boardman they had was certainly a nice bit of kit. Mind you, they also carry Storck, but I've set my budget and must resist!

Cheers,

Russell

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm not going to buy anything with Trek/Spesh/etc written on it

Well, it's up to you but you're missing out on some fantastic bikes - I love the Trek Domane and it would fit the bill perfectly. The Specialized Diverge would probably be ideal for your needs too, and the Giant Defy would be well worth considering, but I presume Giant are covered by the 'etc'.

How about Ridley? The new Fenix SL looks rather smashing. I'm hoping to get my hands on one later this year.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
the 2015 Boardman they had was certainly a nice bit of kit.

The new 2016 Boardmans are a huge improvement on the old range - not least in the looks department. Plus you can choose a custom colour scheme on any model.

Mind you, they also carry Storck, but I've set my budget and must resist!

Easiest way to resist a Storck is to look at the price tag! Gorgeous bikes though.

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Alas, I realize the compulsion to want something different does rule out some rather competent bikes, but that still leaves quite a range that's better than me! That said, if looks were the most important thing, it would be hard to resist a CAAD 12 Disc with Dura Ace. Call me a man of my time, but there is something about a horizontal top tube and a chainwheel that looks like it isn't made of plastic that has much to commend it to this eye.

Still, I've got a couple of weeks to wait before the full budget is amassed and have been pondering this for a couple of months, so it'll not be an impulse purchase. Anyway, the RT-58 will carry me more than adequately through the winter, the worst of which is yet to come.

So, as Boardman, Ridley, Genesis, Orbea are all available locally, I shall check them out. Happy to hear of any other suggestions though. :smile:

Russell

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Alas, I realize the compulsion to want something different does rule out some rather competent bikes, but that still leaves quite a range that's better than me!

Yeah, it's not like there's a shortage of good bikes to choose from, so it's one way to help narrow it down, and I can quite understand the desire to go for something a bit more exclusive - a few years ago, I chose a Felt over a Specialized partly for the same reason (although the Felt was also better looking and better spec for the price, but relative rarity was definitely a factor, both excellent bikes though).

Have a look at the Merida Ride 7000 Disc as well.

Cycling weekly reviewed the KTM last month , very good reviews, my personnel favorite, and one also reviewed is the is the Lappiere, I had the xelius great bike and not many about.
regards
Mark

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
That ORRO is a nice looking bike.
orro.jpg
Isn't it just? But that paint job, plus Fulcrum Quattro Carbon wheels (instead of the standard Racing 5 DB) adds £1050. I couldn't possibly justify it. :sad:

Mind you, when you see the standard black/gold/silver paint job in the flesh, it looks superb to this lad brought up watching Colin Chapman era JPS Lotus F1 cars:
au-14-223-160941.jpg

au-14-224-161008.jpg

Russell

Last edited:
OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Cycling weekly reviewed the KTM last month , very good reviews, my personnel favorite, and one also reviewed is the is the Lappiere, I had the xelius great bike and not many about.
regards
Mark
I think that was the Revelator Prestige, which is a fair bit more expensive - Dura Ace/Quattro Carbon wheels and rim braked at that. Basically the same otherwise and the only negative they could find was that you don't see one in the Pro Peloton. You won't see me there either, so that's a bit of a non-issue!

Russell

Top Bottom