Kudos to everyone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
That commutes all year round no matter what the weather..........hate getting up in the darker winter mornings.

But im trying to give it a go at least twice a week during winter.......as long as its dry

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Double kudos to doing the school run too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thinking about trying these this winter. Not sure I have the confidence to really trust them or not. Do you feel totally safe even on thick, black ice?
Well, I don't feel at any risk of sliding at all, but still not totally safe because of two problems: 1. The risk that the ice may detach from the road surface, especially if you brake hard; 2. Other road users losing it and sliding into me.

There's also the risk of putting your foot down. The tyre may grip on ice, but your shoe won't.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thinking about trying these this winter. Not sure I have the confidence to really trust them or not. Do you feel totally safe even on thick, black ice?

I've had a slide but never come off. No issues to date over 5-6 bad days.

Earlier this year, when Leeds came to a halt in deep snow, I rode past quite happily on my spikes ...

Last edited:
I don't think I could summon up the willpower to go outside and go for a bike ride on a cold, damp, dark winter's morning but as an all-year, all-weather commuter rider I don't need will power, it just becomes a habit. Sometimes I get to work and forget how I got there.

Studded ice tyres really do work. I have ridden on slick wet ice without problems. Mine are home made and don't have as many studs as the ones you buy. The only problem is the hassle of fitting them. Better to have a spare set of winter wheels or an ice bike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Studs are at their best on black ice.

You can cycle - steadily - on a surface on which you can barely walk.

Most of us have had the experience when coming to a stop on studs of putting a foot down and the foot slipping.

Quite funny, you can ride OK on the ice but you fall off when you stop.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
No such thing as the wrong weather ...

I have to ride all year round to justify the investment made in jackets, overshoes, gloves, spiked tyres (awesome!) lights etc.. etc..

So when I lie there in a warm bed, it's cold dark & wet outside I have no excuses left any more.

And it's always refreshing & enjoyable even if battling against the elements !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't think I could summon up the willpower to go outside and go for a bike ride on a cold, damp, dark winter's morning but as an all-year, all-weather commuter rider I don't need will power, it just becomes a habit. Sometimes I get to work and forget how I got there.

Studded ice tyres really do work. I have ridden on slick wet ice without problems. Mine are home made and don't have as many studs as the ones you buy. The only problem is the hassle of fitting them. Better to have a spare set of winter wheels or an ice bike.

This ^^^
All round cycle commuting does become habit. You just get on with it regardless of the weather.
I'm lucky being in London as you never need studded tyres even in the coldest of weathers. The main roads are all usually very clear of ice by being gritted and the amount of traffic.

Top Bottom