L2P 2019 - is anyone here training for this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bhitucyclist

Hi friends is anyone in CC training for L2P for this year? Or have done it before ? How are you training for it ? How many miles on average are you crunching each week ?

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi friends is anyone in CC training for L2P for this year? Or have done it before ? How are you training for it ? How many miles on average are you crunching each week ?

London-Paris

I have done it with my kids last year. We did it ourselves not organised company. Our route was from London Bridge, down to Brighton, coastal route to Newhaven. Teatime ferry to Dieppe. We used Avenue Verte mostly to get to Paris. This is a segregated road for walkers and cyclists, which goes virtually all the way Dieppe to Paris. 3 days of steady riding enjoying the scenery, well once we got out of the shithole of London

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

London-Paris

I have done it with my kids last year. We did it ourselves not organised company. Our route was from London Bridge, down to Brighton, coastal route to Newhaven. Teatime ferry to Dieppe. We used Avenue Verte mostly to get to Paris. This is a segregated road for walkers and cyclists, which goes virtually all the way Dieppe to Paris
How long did it take ?

CXRAndy

Guru
How long did it take ?

Three full days of riding. Here is our route we planned, but altered on route to go over Ditchling- day one
London-Newhaven https://www.strava.com/routes/10156387
Dieppe-Floret https://www.strava.com/routes/10156715
Final day Paris https://www.strava.com/routes/10156809

Day one is the hardest, time pressed to get to ferry on time, but we had enough time to have a pub lunch and take an easy pace. Set off early is the key. Work out your cycling pace add time for food stops and a bit for unforseen-punctures/mechanicals and you can work how long it will take each day to cycle. If you need more time add an extra day.

There is no point spoiling a wonderful adventure trying to cover too many miles per day.

We came off Avenue Verte to make our way to overnight accomodation- the country lanes are nearly as quiet, maybe one car an hour you would see.

Once out of the UK the cycling is completely different in France-wonderful, virtually no traffic and overall, considerate drivers. Some folks take 5 days to cycle, really explore, experience wine/cheese stops and see the beautiful villages and towns you pass thru. Take Photos of beautiful sights for fond memories

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Three full days of riding. Here is our route we planned, but altered on route to go over Ditchling- day one
London-Newhaven https://www.strava.com/routes/10156387
Dieppe-Floret https://www.strava.com/routes/10156715
Final day Paris https://www.strava.com/routes/10156809

Day one is the hardest, time pressed to get to ferry on time, but we had enough time to have a pub lunch and take an easy pace. Set off early is the key. Work out your cycling pace add time for food stops and a bit for unforseen-punctures/mechanicals and you can work how long it will take each day to cycle. If you need more time add an extra day.

There is no point spoiling a wonderful adventure trying to cover too many miles per day.

We came off Avenue Verte to make our way to overnight accomodation- the country lanes are nearly as quiet, maybe one car an hour you would see.

Once out of the UK the cycling is completely different in France-wonderful, virtually no traffic and overall, considerate drivers. Some folks take 5 days to cycle, really explore, experience wine/cheese stops and see the beautiful villages and towns you pass thru. Take Photos of beautiful sights for fond memories
Thanks a lot ... sounds like a fantastic adventure.
How do i use the route. If i wanted ?
I also use strava .. is there a way i can see the route you have shared pls?

vickster

Legendary Member
Aren't you doing it with an organisation? Surely they should provide the route you'll be taking, how long you have, where you're staying etc?
If you want to use GPX tracks you'd be best off getting a Garmin or Wahoo unit :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Aren't you doing it with an organisation? Surely they should provide the route you'll be taking, how long you have, where you're staying etc?
If you want to use GPX tracks you'd be best off getting a Garmin or Wahoo unit :smile:
Yes i am doing it with RBL fundraising event.
But i want to practice long rides so a route to do that will be fab ... specially i want to replicate the first day ... have heard its hard.
If the route is planned in strava i have to figure out how to view it. Am not good at reading maps

vickster

Legendary Member
You could ride the more difficult half of the first day, get the train to that point and back home again. Then do the easier half, then do it all. Which ferry crossing are you taking?

Get a Network Rail card from a railway station, £30, lasts a year, 1/3 off fares at weekend and in the week after 10am (with terms about spend, routes etc). Then you can get the train out of london to start yiur rides

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes i am doing it with RBL fundraising event.
But i want to practice long rides so a route to do that will be fab ... specially i want to replicate the first day ... have heard its hard.
If the route is planned in strava i have to figure out how to view it. Am not good at reading maps
Do you mean the Royal British Legion?

There's lots of info on their website
https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/ge.../pedal-to-paris/route-itinerary-and-logistics (i.e. You should be able to get the info from them)
Looks like you go via Dover not Dieppe and 5 days not 3

They have training info too
https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/things-to-do/events/pedal-to-paris/training

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you are not good at reading maps then trying a long distance on your own will be scary. Why not sign up for a guided ride with your local CTC group to get used to building up distance without worrying about navigation?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I did it last year with a mate. Via Newhaven Dieppe. Part way up avenue vert. Not a nice route.got onto proper roads a lot better. To many crossroads on avenue vert.did it in 36hours. Hated Paris.got the train back to Dieppe. We where well early for the ferry. Spent a few hours wandering round then settled into a pub for a few hours. Really liked Dieppe. Going back at the end of the month for four days for a bit of touring.
Good luck on your trip. But Belgium is so much nicer than France especially Paris.

CXRAndy

Guru
I did it last year with a mate. Via Newhaven Dieppe. Part way up avenue vert. Not a nice route.got onto proper roads a lot better. To many crossroads on avenue vert.did it in 36hours. Hated Paris.got the train back to Dieppe. We where well early for the ferry. Spent a few hours wandering round then settled into a pub for a few hours. Really liked Dieppe. Going back at the end of the month for four days for a bit of touring.
Good luck on your trip. But Belgium is so much nicer than France especially Paris.

extraordinary that you found a segregated cycle route with the odd road crossing and hated it. What better way to cycle away from vehicles.

I agree country lanes are also wonderful, but Avenue Verte gets extremely positive reviews

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
extraordinary that you found a segregated cycle route with the odd road crossing and hated it. What better way to cycle away from vehicles.

I agree country lanes are also wonderful, but Avenue Verte gets extremely positive reviews

Not at 4am. Its pitch black and parts of it are rough. Ok for a nice leisurely ride. But no good if you are in a hurry.

Top Bottom