La Francaise Diamant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Maclean

5D25F195-8F7B-4A0B-8EA1-DEF769DA54AA.jpeg
05CEE705-D262-40DA-A822-8D2CF139DFBA.jpeg

Attachments

• AF6272C6-A01F-43EE-9BD5-21CD1C5C2911.jpeg
    AF6272C6-A01F-43EE-9BD5-21CD1C5C2911.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I could well be wrong, but wasn’t Diamant an East German brand

Bobby Maclean

I could well be wrong, but wasn’t Diamant an East German brand
The chap I got the bike off thought it was french as most of the bits on it are french, I will do a bit more research on Diamant, who are, as you say, an East German manufacturer. Would make sense if it is a Diamant, the la francais model?

Thanks biggs682 for the angle info, would never of guessed that one.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very interesting bike, I'm sure you won't see another any time soon. I would think the finish is original. The East German provenance makes sense with the poor paintwork and cheap decals, think Trabant!
Maybe the french name and components were an attempt to attract Gallic buyers and earn much needed outside .currency, who knows.
Should be quite a talking point when other enthusiasts spy it. The tubs seems rather odd, perhaps to take it up market.
Congrats on a great find.

Last edited:

Bobby Maclean

Very interesting bike, I'm sure you won't see another any time soon. I would think the finish is original. The East German provenance makes sense with the poor paintwork and cheap decals, think Trabant!
Maybe the french name and components were an attempt to attract Gallic buyers and earn much needed outside .currency, who knows.
Should be quite a talking point when other enthusiasts spy it. The tubs seems rather odd, perhaps to take it up market.
Congrats on a great find.

Thanks Cycleops, found this picture on the net (below), it claims to be made in Belguim, another maker of Diamant bikes, and it has very similar lugs on the front.

Oh, and Norway make diamant bikes too!

s-l1600.jpg

sloansteady

Hi, do you still have this ?
I have just come across one ,wondered if you had any more info .
Mine has Mavic monthlery pro sprint rims and clement tubs. Also a sapin ? drilled and very light chainset.
Otherwise its exactly the same as yours inc colour.

Bobby Maclean

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/la-française-diamant.241081/#post-5404317
I've got one too. There is some feedback on the above link.

...couldn’t resist, must be something about orange. i can’t find very much info on this make, it is probably from the 70’s, has solida crankset, Normandy hubs and I think mavic rims which take tubalar tires, View attachment 433036 View attachment 433037 View attachment 433038 View attachment 433039 View attachment 433040 View attachment 433041 View attachment 433042 guidons Phillips handle bars, hurret gearing and racer brakes. If anyone can help with the make much appreciated.

Top Bottom