La Francaise Diamant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
robo

robo

Regular
hoping2007.jpg

OP
OP
robo

robo

Regular
hoping2011.jpg

OP
OP
robo

robo

Regular
hoping005.jpg

raindog

er.....
It's in fantastic condition isn't it? I still think it's mid to late 60s, maybe early 70s, with those Mafac Racer centre pulls, but maybe someone will come up with a better estimate.

Bobby Maclean

5193FB57-A9FB-4DFB-9039-2B3DA257022B.jpeg
89785084-CADF-4F6D-BA54-2708E3F27F26.jpeg
D9352413-F2D7-41D8-B3F8-9B299928DD88.jpeg
Just spent the afternoon cleaning this, one thing that I noticed is it’s has quite a poor paint job, runs and splodges aplenty, so probably not the original factory finish and maybe the decals are not from the original bike?
Things I have noticed if there are any experts out there who can help, are are these stamps I have shown in the pictures. The number 75 and the number 8.
The RGV bottom bracket shell I can find stuff about...

"....I used them (RGF bottom brackets) on most of the frames I built in England through the 1970s, and bought them from Ron Kitching who imported them along with the Prugnat lugs. These BB shells were 'Bulge Formed' which is an interesting process and I will explain for the benefit of those who have not heard of this."
"A steel tube with the diameter and wall thickness of a bottom bracket shell is fed into a special machine. A mold clamps around the tube that has internal sockets that form the down tube, seat tube, and chain stay sockets. The ends of the tube are sealed and hydraulic oil is pumped inside. The pressure causes the steel to blow into the sockets like a bubble."
"The mold opens, the tube slides sideways to clear the mold and a saw cuts it off. The machine repeats whole process automatically. In a separate process the sealed ends of the sockets are machined off making the finished sockets for the tubes. Finally the BB shell is faced and threaded."
"I used these BB shells because they were the best available at that time. By the late 1970s investment cast bottom brackets, which are far superior, became available. I’m sure the bulge forming process is still being used for lower end bikes." Dave Moulton, frame builder (retired)
The numbers on the front post, do they mean anything?

Top Bottom