La Vuelta 2017 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Deserved stage winner and race winner.Only one blip from Froome in three weeks..Looking forward to Madrid tomorrow,although from the company I'm going with it might be more alcohol than bike.

Venod

Eh up
Deserved stage winner

Agreed, I can't remember which thread it was in but someone on here called him a wheel sucker.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I'm not quite sure, but I think that if Trentin wants the Green Jersey back tomorrow, he will need to score points in the intermediate sprint and win the stage and hope that Froome doesn't finish in the top 15. Expect Quick-Step Floors to control the peloton tomorrow.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
so will Mr Froome be considered as a "one of the greats" if he wins this and the TDF in the same season?
He's certainly having a hell of a good season...and the last few seasons have been very impressive. he does have a brilliant team around him after all.

what else would he need to do to be a cycling legend in years to come?
By rights, absolutely nothing. Five grand tour wins- and by any reasonable standard one win is legendary- and TDF KOM, plus whatever he might win in future. No, he hasn't won a spring classic or another big one-dayer, but I doubt he cares right now, and why should he? If he wants to have a go at Other Things he will. Many greats of the past entered more and won more races, but even with the obvious, doping, aside, racing has changed, for better or worse. Winning two GTs in one year is a very select club indeed. Never mind cheap digs about him being a plastic Brit etc…he's an all time great.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is there a realistic prospect of Froome - or some other world class rider - winning all three European grand tours?

As an armchair spectator with little knowledge, it seems an obvious 'grand slam' to me.

I may have read somewhere the Giro and Tour de France are too close together for even a supremely fit cyclist to win both.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Is there a realistic prospect of Froome - or some other world class rider - winning all three European grand tours?

As an armchair spectator with little knowledge, it seems an obvious 'grand slam' to me.

I may have read somewhere the Giro and Tour de France are too close together for even a supremely fit cyclist to win both.
Merckx never managed it. Only two riders have ever managed top ten finishes in all three in the same year.
In two words, Im Possible, it would seem.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru

SWSteve

Guru

The riders in the vuelta look cooked because they Did the tour, if you try the Giro-Tour double, you run the risk of being cooked come the end, and competing with riders whose whole year revolves around the tour, so you slide away - look at Quintana this year. Because of this, a grand slam would be insanely hard in a calendar year, a twelve month period however....

400bhp

Guru

Are there grand tours outside Europe?:whistle:

It's unrealistic to win all three grand tours in one year in their present format.

Froome has a lot to thank his teammates for this year. He wouldn't have been able to do what he did in any other team, bar perhaps Movistar. That's not to take anything away from him. He is head and shoulders above everyone else he has raced this year. Do to have any chance of winning all three in a calendar year would mean having a massive squad of riders all willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

However, I believe Dumoulin might be the best there is out there currently.

It'll be good to see those go head to head in then world TT champs. I really hope this happens.

400bhp

Guru
The riders in the vuelta look cooked because they Did the tour, if you try the Giro-Tour double, you run the risk of being cooked come the end, and competing with riders whose whole year revolves around the tour, so you slide away - look at Quintana this year. Because of this, a grand slam would be insanely hard in a calendar year, a twelve month period however....

12 month period is a good point.

I wonder if they could put the Tour back a week and the Vuelta back a week too, so that there's more of a chance riders can genuinely go for a double in the year?

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom

Froome's big goal is 5 Tours de France, so he wouldn't jeopardise that next year by doing the Giro.

Top Bottom