La Vuelta 2017 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Typical Froome - wasn't going to let the points jersey go.

sleaver

Veteran
Well, my first experience of being at a Grand Tour was worth it especially due to the nature of the course, I got to see them twice every lap.

Then when the course was clear, people started going to the podium so I though I would to and ended up only about 3 people back at the rear. Considering all the photographers at the front, you probably got closer and had a better view at the rear.

I know the history with Contador but being British in a crowd full of Spanish chattering "Alberto" was quite surreal. They went mad when he started taking a video on his phone.

Glad Froome one it, not only because he's come so close before but because he spoke English and I could understand something :laugh:

The podium was a bit empty when they had the four jersey winners and there was only two riders.

I decided to take the red jersey photos on my camera, but here is one of the green jersey from my phone.

IMG_1121.JPG

I may post the ones on my camera when I get home next weekend.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Spanish police do seem to be far more pro active at keeping the fans away from the riders.
That's not really the police. That's the famously heavy Civil Guard, an old paramilitary force that lives in garrisons and still acts as Spain's highway police as well as rural police, border police, coastguard, UN peacekeepers and various other things. The police (national and municipal) mainly act in cities.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Plus it'd get him out of Bergen.

Or maybe it was practice for the inevitable sprint finish against Sagan and GVA?

(Yes, ok, I expect he's focusing on the TT rather than the road race, but I'd love to see him go for it.)

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I really don't know what to make of that race. It was a slow burner and lacked any real drama of a credible challenge to Froome though a few looked like they might.
Sky were dominant despite my reservations about their personnel. Moscon was a revelation and Poels and Nieve did a great job. I'm surprised they haven't offered Nieve a big bonus to stay on for another year.
Kelderman, Zakarin, Chaves, Nibali and Lopez all had their moments but Bertie stole the show.
Aru and the Yates brothers were a big disappointment.
I assumed Bardet would be a player too but he clearly was only targeting stage wins from the start.
Barguil is obviously a bit of a loose canon. He took my selection of him as the punditry wildcard a bit too literally.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
I really don't know what to make of that race. It was a slow burner and lacked any real drama of a credible challenge to Froome though a few looked like they might.
Sky were dominant despite my reservations about their personnel. Moscon was a revelation and Poels and Nieve did a great job. I'm surprised they haven't offered Nieve a big bonus to stay on for another year.
Kelderman, Zakarin, Chaves, Nibali and Lopez all had their moments but Bertie stole the show.
Aru and the Yates brothers were a big disappointment.
I enjoyed it,the Vuelta as a end of season race feels a bit more relaxed(probably not the right word !) It gives the opportunity for more attacking racing that's for sure.Not as many sprint stages and plenty of mountains.Nibali had a great race I think,he always looks dangerous.But not taking anything away from Froome he's been outstanding,In both the Tour and Vuelta he's probably had two off days.Barely puts a foot wrong and races for everything.To contest the sprint last night shows he's hungry for all.Trentin got four stages and still didn't get the green jersey ! Bit of a shame I think.A deserved champion.

KneesUp

Guru
If you'd won 4 x Tdf and 1 x Vuelta, but were nearer the end of your grand tour career than the start, would you target the Giro, so you could perhaps retire having won all three grand tours, and as a bonus would hold all three titles simultaneously for a while, or focus on another TdF to try and draw level with Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault and Indurain?

If you'd won 4 x Tdf and 1 x Vuelta, but were nearer the end of your grand tour career than the start, would you target the Giro, so you could perhaps retire having won all three grand tours, and as a bonus would hold all three titles simultaneously for a while, or focus on another TdF to try and draw level with Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault and Indurain?
Tricky one. I think he'd like to win six but he knows he'll be up against it. Definitely one more tour as a priority and then the Giro tour double the year after. Winning all three GT's and five tours would lift him to one of the all time best GT riders but who knows how much time he has left. As we've seen with Contador this year, when your form goes, it goes quickly.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hinault reckons he should: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/sep/11/chris-froome-vuelta-espana-tour-de-france-double

Top Bottom