La Vuelta a Espana 22/8 - 13/9 2015 (here be spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1.51 for Rodriguez over 39km. Surely Dumoulin can take that back but then can he hold it over three tough stages. Turning into a really exciting Vuelta this.

Some stage finish that, everyone almost stopped at one or two points, crazy steep at times. Well done Schleck though. Dumoulin will be semi pleased with the gap before the ITT, though I am thinking hammering it on the mountains may have taken a fair bit out the legs for him.

OP
OP
HF2300

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
27587.jpg

"FRANK SCHLECK - ALIVE?!!"

Last edited:

sleaver

Veteran
I think this was touched upon after stage 11, but assuming that the people who plan the route find harder climbs to test the riders, are we at a point where the riders, as human beings, are being pushed to far and therefore making it counter productive?

On the steeper slopes of the last climb yesterday, some of the best riders in the world were almost coming to a stop and I think it was in the Tirreno Adriatico a few years ago, Contador and others had to zig-zag up a climb.

So while Miller was saying that Landa was setting a pace to prevent others attacking, was it more of a case that they couldn't because if they did and couldn't make it stick, they would have lost more time by blowing before the summit?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I think this was touched upon after stage 11, but assuming that the people who plan the route find harder climbs to test the riders, are we at a point where the riders, as human beings, are being pushed to far and therefore making it counter productive?

Oh yes.

I thought some of the reactions to stage 11 were interesting - a few people here complained that the racing was dull. For me, this is a good sign that the racing generally is becoming more 'human'. Hopefully this might help the organisers realise that making the race more difficult isn't necessarily the best way to make it more interesting to watch.

400bhp

Guru

On the steeper slopes of the last climb yesterday, some of the best riders in the world were almost coming to a stop and I think it was in the Tirreno Adriatico a few years ago, Contador and others had to zig-zag up a climb.

So while Miller was saying that Landa was setting a pace to prevent others attacking, was it more of a case that they couldn't because if they did and couldn't make it stick, they would have lost more time by blowing before the summit?
Well I'd look at it in respect of a riders threshold effort and how long and how much they can go into the red.
The longer (and steeper) the climb the more likely they will be riding longer at threshold. This has to be the case as someone would attack if not.
So yes in a way you're right. A sensible rider won't go into the red too early.

400bhp

Guru
Well done Schleck though.

No. Just no.

Doping ass

sleaver

Veteran
After today I am now off work for the rest of the week.

Good planning you may say, but I've taken the time off to finish my Masters dissertation :sad: May just have to have the TV on in the background in the afternoons :okay:

OP
OP
HF2300

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy

Think I'm with @smutchin - at least it shows the racing is (mainly) human.

It seemed what happened on stage 11, and to an extent yesterday, was everyone went 'stuff this - let's save it for the last climb', negating the value of multiple climbs from a spectator point of view.

To your Tirreno-Adriatico point, we're frequently seeing zig-zagging or at least trying to lessen the worst parts of climbs in races, rather than just waltzing up 1 in 5 hills like they're not there - again, shows the racing's a bit more on this planet. Even Schleck nearly came to a standstill at a couple of points.

I think your last point was the one Millar was making - if Landa puts everyone on the edge, they haven't got anything extra to be able to get past without going into the red, and that means they risk blowing up early or not being able to do anything later in the climb.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Oh yes.

I thought some of the reactions to stage 11 were interesting - a few people here complained that the racing was dull. For me, this is a good sign that the racing generally is becoming more 'human'. Hopefully this might help the organisers realise that making the race more difficult isn't necessarily the best way to make it more interesting to watch.

Point taken Smutch.
In the TdF the attacking would be more aggressive from the GC though, I think. This race is being raced by tired men on a course that's mean.

Tin Pot

Guru
Just saw the catch up - crikey that looked painful, my thighs were crying in sympathy. 27%....30%..?!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
My prediction for today: Dumoulin wins the stage and overtakes Aru and Rodruguez, but Majka does enough to take the overall lead. This doesn't settle the final placings though and there will attacks galore in the last few days...

Top Bottom