La Vuelta a Espana 22/8 - 13/9 2015 (here be spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It's not clear from the article as to what is mad about it (I'm watching for the first time).
Ok, he's a sprinter moaning about the high number of mountain finishes, so no surprise there.

But I do think he has a point about it being a little too tough and having problems attracting riders who have done the other two tours earlier in the season, plus it's close to the worlds so a lot of riders have one eye on them and don't go or drop out early.

Then again, it's interesting to have a tour that's a bit different from the other two. I guess I'm a bit prejudiced as I am yearning for people to have a proper go at winning all three tours in a season, but the way they are going, that's looking even less possible than it ever was, the way the routes are and the way they are riding these days is increasingly making 2 wins in a season impossible.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I know what you mean about winning two or three GTs, but there are a few weeks/months between them, does it really take that long for a supremely fit athelete to recover ? I would have thought it might be more of a mental thing - but then I get tired riding over canal bridges, so what do I know :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But I do think he has a point about it being a little too tough and having problems attracting riders who have done the other two tours earlier in the season, plus it's close to the worlds so a lot of riders have one eye on them and don't go or drop out early.
I think it's a very good point about the world championships and the Tour of Britain combining our rough roads with its fondness for including at least one very long but not too steep stage (often across East Anglia) and a circuit race seems an attractive way to prepare for them. That's not always meant a great competition in itself, but I guess seeing stars is usually a spectacle.

sleaver

Veteran
Could Rodriguez win?

I know he has said that he is just targeting the podium, but he could go into red today depending on how well the stage suits him. I'm not sure how good a time trailer he is though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Could Rodriguez win?

I know he has said that he is just targeting the podium, but he could go into red today depending on how well the stage suits him. I'm not sure how good a time trailer he is though.
He's OK - has been top three in lumpy time trials and been part of good team time trails - but has occasional off days in ITT. How does he compare to Aru? That's the key question.

It's probably correct that everyone seems nervous about Dumoulin. He's a good time trialist who's deeply unpredictable being that high on GC in the third week of a stage race. He could storm the TT or he could be burnt out or come out of the rest day with his body having shut down into recovery. There's not much in his race record to predict it, is there?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Could Rodriguez win?

This year looks like being his best chance ever (given the lack of Contador, Nibali and Froome, the questionable form of Quintana and Aru, the ageing legs of Valverde, and no obviously juiced up riders like Horner or Cobo), and possibly his last chance ever. I agree there's definitely a strong chance he'll be in red at the end of today, given that it's another viciously steep finishing climb that should suit him better than Aru.

On the other hand, he must be at his limit already and I suspect there's also a danger he'll crack and lose a shedload of time like he did in 2012. Unless he's found Chris Horner's stash of magic pixie dust. (Do you believe in miracles, hmmm?)

I'm not sure how good a time trailer he is though.

Not great, but not as bad as Aru.

OP
OP
HF2300

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Rodriguez! One last tilt at the windmill. Mind you it's the Vuelta, he's probably got a few more.

@Crackle strangely prescient there...

I don't think that Rodriguez or Majka have the fire power.

... while @rich p sticks with Cyclechat tradition.

Great win for Purito though - can he stay with it today? Be nice to get another red before retirement.

Got to say, for all he's losing time the most impressive ride is really Dumoulin's, just because it's a real solo effort.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Great win for Purito though - can he stay with it today? Be nice to get another red before retirement.

Got to say, for all he's losing time the most impressive ride is really Dumoulin's, just because it's a real solo effort.
Dumoulin's the loneliest guy in the race. Even when there's someone near him, they just sit on his wheel.

I don't know how he's doing today, so I stand and fall by this but I picked him from the outset in the punditry. Mind you it wouldn't be the first time he's been on the verge of glory only to blow it magnificently.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Oh yeah, and another thing...

Me on the 29th August:
Is that Richard Virenque on the Festina ad? He seems to have turned into Paul Hollywood.
(Also, why on earth would Festina still want their name to be associated with him?)

The 'cool' kids at the back of the class finally waking up a week later:
Who is the old man in the Festina adverts
It surprised me, too, but believe it or not, it's Richard Virenque.
Blimey. Next they'll have Justin Gaitlin advertising running
The irony being that Virenque was busted in the Festina fiasco

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Amazing stage - that last climb was about as evil as it comes.

Dumoulin was the most impressive in some ways - he can do this in the TT. And then perhaps he can hold on until the end after all - he's a bit of a Wiggins or even an Indurain.

Top Bottom