La Vuelta a Espana *Spoiler*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I’ve not watched any of the race so far, been too busy, but I just checked the results and... WTAF? A Cofidis rider leading a GT?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
FFS, I picked that nobber Rodriguez a couple of time in punditry and shipped him out for today's "my 3 climbers" to be replaced by Jan Hirt for today's stage as he'd been rubbish!
So does Rodriguez need to thank someone for his extra low gear selection or did Majka and Teuns have lower gears they weren't using for some reason?

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Great racing. Enjoyed it.

mjr

Makes you wonder if Movistar should have gone all out for Valverde.Almost feel sorry for Quintana,i feel like hes got the legs for it but not the head ?
I'm not so sure. When he did finally run out of teammates and need to ride himself, it seemed like his legs weren't really there so all his talk in interviews at the start was a huge bluff. If that's true, yesterday was a very good day for him!

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I'm not so sure. When he did finally run out of teammates and need to ride himself, it seemed like his legs weren't really there so all his talk in interviews at the start was a huge bluff. If that's true, yesterday was a very good day for him!
When climbing a steep hill, like yesterday, do teammates really help or is it mostly psychology like - "I have a friend, the other riders don't..." ? They don't seem to be going fast enough for drafting to have any huge effect

mjr

When climbing a steep hill, like yesterday, do teammates really help or is it mostly psychology like - "I have a friend, the other riders don't..." ? They don't seem to be going fast enough for drafting to have any huge effect
Yesterday's hill had a couple of slight downhills where drafting may have helped, but it looks like it's as much help for pacing, plus if a teammate (Vala) is one of the ones people want to gain time on, if he catches an attack, the attack may pause before attacking again and that gives Quintana an easier chance to catch back on.

The other aspect is pacing. If teammates are on the front of a group, watching the power output and meaning any attacker has to "go into the red" for longer to overtake them, then the team leader can ride slightly further back and see attacks coming, choosing whether to go with it or try to let the train run them down.

Top Bottom