La Vuelta a Espana *Spoiler*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Zloty

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I saw Kwiat in the Tour of Po;and and although he won it, he looked pretty close to the limit a few times.
I can't help thinking that he may have been into the red too much lately after his super-dom efforts in the Tour to be a serious GC contender here.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I saw Kwiat in the Tour of Po;and and although he won it, he looked pretty close to the limit a few times.
I can't help thinking that he may have been into the red too much lately after his super-dom efforts in the Tour to be a serious GC contender here.
Won't that depend on the support he gets? He usually is the support and has to go into the red for the GC contender. With good support he can marshal his efforts.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Won't that depend on the support he gets? He usually is the support and has to go into the red for the GC contender. With good support he can marshal his efforts.
I think he's capable of winning one of these but I just think that he's depleted his resources too much lately to be a serious contender at the sharp end.

Adam4868

Guru
I think he's capable of winning one of these but I just think that he's depleted his resources too much lately to be a serious contender at the sharp end.
I really hope he can last the three weeks but it's a big ask I think.Hes a great rider but it seems a risky strategy to go "all out" so early.

400bhp

Guru

He's in Sky so yes, he's capable of winning. But, a bit like Thomas, has never "raced" for three weeks. Does anyone know whether Kwiao has any form for large mountain top finishes? He can do 20 minute climbs (Volta a Algarve has a few 20 minute efforts) but what about those hour long ones, which essentially mnake or break a GC contender.

400bhp

Guru
My only memory of Kwiat as a contender rather than a domestique was his final (?) season at Quickstep when he featured heavily in the GC in the first week or so including when it was quite hilly. But when they hit the big mountains he disappeared without trace. That was, of course, before he went to Sky and they sprinkled magic sky dust on him.

I seem to recall that, yes. Also I'm sure he was a Sky GCer in the Giro in his early days and the same thing happened? My gut feel is he's a Valverde/Alaphilippe type rider.

Adam4868

Guru
Im glad King won that today,Stalnov did feck all to help either of them.Strange tactics especially riding side by side up the climb.

PpPete

Legendary Member
And Yates, Simon pulls back his TT deficit on the other GC contenders. If he has taken whatever necessary lessons from his Giro, and maybe avoid taking the red jersey and the pressures that go with it for a little while longer.....

Wonder what odds you could have got back at the start of the year on on three different Brits winning the three GTs ?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It was odd that Kwiat didn't try to stay with Yates unless he just couldn't.
ValvPiti tried to attack but wasn't strong enough and Kwiat seemed to just mark him which is weird as there is little chance of him being a GC threat...

...IMHO!

Despite him being Marmy's latest heartthrob.

Top Bottom