Lacing Trike Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
makes the wheel stiffer .
(old school )

regards Emma
How and why?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I don't think Jobst would. Can you find a reference of his talking about the "relative sideways strength" of laced and unlaced wheels?
Your question dealt with that and the answer given by Joe is correct. Interlacing doesn't strengthen the wheel but helps to maintain some tension to adjacent spokes when the primary loaded spoke is overloaded and in danger of becoming slack. Then an interlace would lend it some tension and prevent the nipple from unscrewing. This doesn't improve strength or durability,but I suppose, reliability.

Which is what Brandt said. However, I'm interested in the sideways forces exerted on a trike wheel and whether lacing reducing the chances of pringling.

I'm still surprised at how the trike wheels I built all those years ago, before box-section rims were common, withstood repeated two-wheel riding and cornering at speed without incurring disaster.

Which is what Brandt said. However, I'm interested in the sideways forces exerted on a trike wheel and whether lacing reducing the chances of pringling.
Think about it for a minute. Pringling is lateral collapse. How can interlacing prevent/reduce that?

I'm still surprised at how the trike wheels I built all those years ago, before box-section rims were common, withstood repeated two-wheel riding and cornering at speed without incurring disaster.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes things are stronger than we think.

Top Bottom