Lactate Threshold Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone know of any websites that show you methods of LT training? Ive got a book that explains quite a bit on long distance cycling and explains a bit about LT training (about a page worth) but not enough for me to understand it

What is it you want to know? It's just another form of high intensity work designed to bring about adaptions to your fitness.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
What is it you want to know? It's just another form of high intensity work designed to bring about adaptions to your fitness.
I have found a site that may help me, www.bicycling.com, its an American site but seems to explain a lot and very well. I just need to find somewhere I can cycle non stop for 3 miles (probably some cycling circuit somewhere). This is one site I have found but what I need to know is other methods on how to find my LT and methods in how to increase my LT.

VamP

Banned
If you ride as hard as you can possibly sustain for 20 minutes, and then do it again 5 minutes later, then you're training your lactate threshold. Does that help?

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Training your lactate threshold is only 1 aspect of training (albeit the single most important thing you can do for any type of racing, other than track sprinting perhaps) and that article has failed to identify possibly the most efficient way to increase your LT, the sweet spot session! If you are doing it right, you are not going to be able to do consecutive days of 2x20 mins. Sweet spot sessions however, you can do 2-3 per week + a harder session or 2.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
High Tempo/Low Threshold, on the boundary. Either performed as intervals or one continuous effort (bar warm up and cool down).

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Is there an article that explains this method in more detail. I am thinking that this would be a good method but I feel it would take several attempts in finding a high tempo and keeping a low threshold (I take it high tempo is to do with cadence and low threshold being just under LT).

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you find your MHR or LTH and devise your 'zones' around this, there will be 2 adjacent zones, tempo and threshold (can be called different names depending where you read them, but generally Z3 & Z4). Sweet spot involves riding at the boundary between the 2, so you will teeter between Z3 and Z4. Nothing to do with cadence!

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Where dd you get this information from? The only experience I have had about MHR is from Bicycling Magazine publications and books which stated the zones I mentioned in another thread (the one we had a minor argument about) and I do see the tempo and threshold zones have more relevance to the the ones I have read about. But, before I can practice the information you have said above I need to be directed to where this information came from.

Top Bottom