Lactate Threshold Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The point being that it might be a load of old tosh.

Except it's not. A ketogenic diet was used over 100 years ago to effectively control epilepsy, and for athletes (cough) like us, there's lots of other scientific evidence.

The human body doesn't need carbohydrates at all. After all, go back a few thousand years, and there weren't any energy drinks or cake to keep people going.

I'm quite happy doing a fast, sweaty 50 mile ride, with no snacks or sugary drinks and not having to worry not bonking or feeling exhausted.

I'm quite happy doing a fast, sweaty 50 mile ride, with no snacks or sugary drinks and not having to worry not bonking or feeling exhausted.

So am I - and I'm not on a wierd diet. As far as I can tell from that research, the only cycling-specific study showed that the diet made no difference.

michaelcycle

Except it's not. A ketogenic diet was used over 100 years ago to effectively control epilepsy, and for athletes (cough) like us, there's lots of other scientific evidence.

The human body doesn't need carbohydrates at all. After all, go back a few thousand years, and there weren't any energy drinks or cake to keep people going.

You're right that no one needs dietary carbohydrates in terms of survival. The only thing really needed from diet is protein and a number of essential fatty acids.

In addition, if you're training is low volume and / or does not have a high glycolytic need (like sprinting) then you can certainly get away with training through fat adaptation.

However, given fatty acids cannot be utilised by the body quickly enough to supply phosophates needed for ATP - only muscle glycogen can do that - it won't be useful in a competitive scenario where a sudden burst of high intensity output can mean the difference between winning or losing.

Horses for courses right?

So am I - and I'm not on a wierd diet. As far as I can tell from that research, the only cycling-specific study showed that the diet made no difference.

As to weird diet, it depends upon your viewpoint. The human body hasn't evolved to cope with the modern western lifestyle. The massive use of complex sugars in a large proportion of food is the main reason for the explosion (pun intended) of obesity. So what most people eat now is weird compared to our ancestors.

You're right that no one needs dietary carbohydrates in terms of survival. The only thing really needed from diet is protein and a number of essential fatty acids.

In addition, if you're training is low volume and / or does not have a high glycolytic need (like sprinting) then you can certainly get away with training through fat adaptation.

However, given fatty acids cannot be utilised by the body quickly enough to supply phosophates needed for ATP - only muscle glycogen can do that - it won't be useful in a competitive scenario where a sudden burst of high intensity output can mean the difference between winning or losing.

Horses for courses right?

Some interesting analysis on the general concept here. But yes, Usain Bolt wouldn't be as fast in his current events, but he'd be a fantastic marathon runner.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Some interesting analysis on the general concept here. But yes, Usain Bolt wouldn't be as fast in his current events, but he'd be a fantastic marathon runner.
It's clear as day now that you just don't know what you're talking about. Usain Bolt is a sprinter for a reason.

By your logic, a dietry change is all that would be required to turn Chris Hoy into a TDF GC contender.

It's clear as day now that you just don't know what you're talking about. Usain Bolt is a sprinter for a reason.

By your logic, a dietry change is all that would be required to turn Chris Hoy into a TDF GC contender.

Perhaps a smiley at the end of my post would have made you happy and less sarcastic?

Like I said, read the scientific analysis.

Anyway, I've got to go for a bike ride now.

ayceejay

Guru
I have it on authority that eating 40 bananas a day covers this without a slip.

Top Bottom