Lactic Acid - Build up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PerryC

Regular
Hi, I've been cycling for roughly a whole year now mainly for pleasure just started commuting 5 mile's each way I've got a light bike so there's no problem with weight.
After cycling for that time my fitness has obviously improved a lot but I just cant seem to get any faster, As soon as I start pushing the Lactic Acid starts building up and just slows me down again.
The longest ride I've been on would be a 40mile with a group and even struggled with that couldn't keep up with the group because of the Acid.
Every time I go up any hills no matter the size or the gradient I can feel it building up, Am I just pushing too hard too soon?.

Is there anything anybody would recommend to reduce the build up or even stop my legs from producing as much so quickly?.

uclown2002

Guru
:popcorn:

OP
OP
PerryC

PerryC

Regular
So cant I start a topic about how to train that without one I'm sure that other topic requires you to have one?
There's no simple ways to train it without a HR monitor really is there? :s
Your not going to be able to tell if you within your "Threshold" zone without any power meter or heart rate telling you, 1 minute your feeling very good and think you can sustain this for ever 5 minutes later your fried out. When do you tell?

Last edited:

Ben M

Keep cycling, you'll get faster.

Consider cycling with a higher cadence to see if that helps (I find it does for me).

OP
OP
PerryC

PerryC

Regular
I've been cycling for about a year with hardly any noticeable difference in power but I do usually keep my cadence up to around 70-90 but I'm not sure if its normal but when the cadence gets too fast you start producing lactic acid?

Ben M

It depends on the person. If my cadence drops below 90 I find my legs get more tired.

If you aren't getting any fitter then you need to look at why you aren't getting any fitter. The reason, I expect, is that you aren't pushing yourself hard enough or riding often enough. Beyond that you need to look at things like nutrition, how much you sleep, stretching etc. but I think that you just need to push yourself more.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Depends what the limiting factors are, if it's lactic acid then it's possible you're meeting or exceeding your aerobic threshold, once you've exceeded it you're relying on muscle glycogen and sooner or later you'll have to slow down to recover. You can either avoid exceeding your aerobic threshold or get better at tolerating lactic acid build up with high intensity interval training.

OP
OP
PerryC

PerryC

Regular
Depends what the limiting factors are, if it's lactic acid then it's possible you're meeting or exceeding your aerobic threshold, once you've exceeded it you're relying on muscle glycogen and sooner or later you'll have to slow down to recover. You can either avoid exceeding your aerobic threshold or get better at tolerating lactic acid build up with high intensity interval training.
Yeah I think its mainly a Lactic acid thing I think I might be exceeding it but I don't know how to tell when Im just below it, I think im pushing myself hard enough I usually come back after the ride completely shattered and usually have to slow down during the ride because I'm dead.

When I feel the Lactic Acid build up should I just keep going at that pase to push through it or slow down?
I usually just try to push through it but just gets worse and worse in till the point where I can barely push on the pedals on the easiest gear is this when I've hit and gone over my lactose threshold?

Last edited:

400bhp

Guru
Low cadence

Poor bike position and fit

Similar mileage/ride loops = muscles become used to effort.

Man up - Push through the pain.

Just some thoughts

Top Bottom