Ladies bib shorts recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Having had my legs out for the first time this year, the pad in my Specialized bib shorts seems to have gone a bit flat and the edge seams rubbing a bit.
They are 2 - 3 years old so time for a new pair.
What brands do women on here recommend? Some seem to cost silly money. Is it worth it?

vickster

Legendary Member
I use waist shorts but my preferred brands are Gore bike, Pearl Izumi, Sportful. These are the ones that fit me (forget Castelli, Ale etc). I buy my shorts in the sales and don’t think I’ve ever spent more than £50

Sport pursuit often have good sales on women’s bike clothing (need to sign up to see and you won’t receive the goods immediately)

rivers

How far can I go?
I've been happy with DHB classic women's bib shorts. Good value for money. Might try some of the aeron this year.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
I've been happy with DHB classic women's bib shorts. Good value for money. Might try some of the aeron this year.
How do you find the sizing? A lot of DHB stuff looks great but when I look at the size charts, I am confused. I usually take a size 8 or 10 in normal clothes and a size small in most brands of cycling gear. When I look at the sizing for DHB, based on measurements, I should be ordering a size large/size 14. This doesn't seem right.

AndreaJ

Veteran
I also use DHB shorts although I wear waist shorts rather than bibs and I've been happy with them.

vickster

Legendary Member
How do you find the sizing? A lot of DHB stuff looks great but when I look at the size charts, I am confused. I usually take a size 8 or 10 in normal clothes and a size small in most brands of cycling gear. When I look at the sizing for DHB, based on measurements, I should be ordering a size large/size 14. This doesn't seem right.
I’d say their size 16s are more like a 12, won’t go anywhere near to fitting me. I’ve never bothered ordering again

iluvmybike

Über Member
I swear by my Rapha classic bibshorts although they are expensive the fit is just great for me - I'm by no means a racing snake! And the Stolen goat stuff is really nice too though I prefer the fuller bib in the Raphas

iluvmybike

Über Member
Ladies cycling kit always seems to be on the tight side for the size - I nearly always have to go up a size. Manufacturers seems to design them for skinny racing ladies not normal ones !

Wiggle returns mean you can order two or more sizes and easily return the ones you don't want. In the mens sizes, they are reasonably realistic unlike Castelli or similar.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Wiggle returns mean you can order two or more sizes and easily return the ones you don't want. In the mens sizes, they are reasonably realistic unlike Castelli or similar.
Good to know. I have 2 DHB tops - the first - size small - was a good fit in the body but tight in the arms. Next time I bought a medium - which fits on the arms but is a bit big in the body! Getting the fit right is a bit more important for the bottom half!

Good to know. I have 2 DHB tops - the first - size small - was a good fit in the body but tight in the arms. Next time I bought a medium - which fits on the arms but is a bit big in the body! Getting the fit right is a bit more important for the bottom half!
Unlike tops, you've got a bit more stretch in shorts!

vickster

Legendary Member
Unlike tops, you've got a bit more stretch in shorts!
But too much stretch can be alarming for other road users if the material is thin (on cheap shorts) or worn!
White shorts are a complete no no on every level because of this!

Top Bottom