Ladies bikes,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
A t the risk of displaying my total ignorance regarding the subject l would like to know if women still ride so called "ladies bikes" ?
Not just idle curiosity because l have seen (local to me in France) a really nice Motobecane example
30725901_10216033881790273_5151597269056749568_n.jpg

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Yes x i see lots here in my part of france

BSOh

Über Member
I'd love an older ladies racing frame, but they're all massive. At 5 foot 1 I think the reach would be a tad too much on the smallest I've seen. And if I was taller a nice vintage mixte would be my bike of choice (although I know this isn't necessarily women specific)

I'm just in the middle of building up a cheap modern ladies hybrid frame. It's a size small (I'm an xs) but as its a step through and relaxed geo then its not too bad a fit. It will do its job but it's very underwhelming.

There's loads of the yoga mums round here riding pretend dutch bikes (and a coupla quite nice steelies) with a wicker basket on, cos it's trendy and "hipster".

Which I would be really scornful of if I wasn't also happy to see people on bikes...;)

I've got an old motobecane ladies' frame stuffed down the side of my house in disrepair; I ought to do something with it really

I would if I could, but at 4ft 11, I'm too short for most ladies' frames, even the XS ones. :sad:

So I ride junior bikes instead. If I was taller, I'd have so much more choice... :cry:

vickster

Legendary Member
I would if I could, but at 4ft 11, I'm too short for most ladies' frames, even the XS ones. :sad:

So I ride junior bikes instead. If I was taller, I'd have so much more choice... :cry:
I have the opposite problem... unless I bought in Holland I’d struggle to get one big enough

Women’s road frames seem to be aimed at women 5’0 to 5’8 or thereabouts (at least a few years back)

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Nice bike. I would ride it without problem.

Ps. I wonder why we have separate men's and women's showers and changing rooms.
Do as l did many years ago, I used to row in a four for Norwich RC. and after a particularly tough training session not being quite "with it "l wandered into the women,s changing/shower room instead of the mens :wub: Believe me l was left in no doubt as to why male and female facilities are separate :wacko:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have no idea of the actual numbers buying/riding them, but, my wife recently bought (well, I bought, for her) a Liv (Giant), hybrid with that style of frame. She is very happy with it.

I have the opposite problem... unless I bought in Holland I’d struggle to get one big enough

Women’s road frames seem to be aimed at women 5’0 to 5’8 or thereabouts (at least a few years back)

When I was looking for a roadie, I did try, but the frames were just too tall. Yes, I could probably ride them, but it's the stopping / starting / coming to a junction that's the problem. If I get it wrong and don't tilt the bike to the side, then *ouch* :surrender: (I have practical experience there - which I don't care to repeat...)

I ride a 38cm frame on 650c wheels, which is bang on for me. :blush:

Am looking at a hybrid made by the same peeps.

mustang1

Guru
Do as l did many years ago, I used to row in a four for Norwich RC. and after a particularly tough training session not being quite "with it "l wandered into the women,s changing/shower room instead of the mens :wub: Believe me l was left in no doubt as to why male and female facilities are separate :wacko:

Wow - were the women rowers really that big? :biggrin:

Top Bottom