Ladies bikes,

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by woodbutcher, 16 Apr 2018.

Tags:
  1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

A t the risk of displaying my total ignorance regarding the subject l would like to know if women still ride so called "ladies bikes" ?
    Not just idle curiosity because l have seen (local to me in France) a really nice Motobecane example 30725901_10216033881790273_5151597269056749568_n.jpg

2. s7ephanie

s7ephanie middle of nowhere in France

Yes x i see lots here in my part of france

Drago and woodbutcher like this.
  3. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Plenty of men ride them down here.

woodbutcher likes this.
  4. Rooster1

Rooster1 Hornblower

Take a trip to Oxford - lots and lots in daily use.

woodbutcher likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Oh yeah....what sort of men are we talking about ?

Cycleops likes this.
  6. BSOh

BSOh Senior Member

I'd love an older ladies racing frame, but they're all massive. At 5 foot 1 I think the reach would be a tad too much on the smallest I've seen. And if I was taller a nice vintage mixte would be my bike of choice (although I know this isn't necessarily women specific)

I'm just in the middle of building up a cheap modern ladies hybrid frame. It's a size small (I'm an xs) but as its a step through and relaxed geo then its not too bad a fit. It will do its job but it's very underwhelming.

Reynard and woodbutcher like this.
  7. mikeymustard

mikeymustard Über Member

There's loads of the yoga mums round here riding pretend dutch bikes (and a coupla quite nice steelies) with a wicker basket on, cos it's trendy and "hipster".

Which I would be really scornful of if I wasn't also happy to see people on bikes...;)

I've got an old motobecane ladies' frame stuffed down the side of my house in disrepair; I ought to do something with it really

woodbutcher likes this.
  8. queasyrider

queasyrider Still perplexed

With sloping top tube design they are becoming less popular/necessary. I see no problem with men riding traditional "ladies" bikes. Two wheels and a frame is all you need.

I renovated an old Claud Butler mixte last year, and rode it a few times before selling it on. Lovely bike to ride.

I am not sure if I read somewhere that mixtes were not initially designed as specific ladies bikes.

mikeymustard, woodbutcher and Reynard like this.
  9. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

Nice bike. I would ride it without problem.

Ps. I wonder why we have separate men's and women's showers and changing rooms.

10. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

I would if I could, but at 4ft 11, I'm too short for most ladies' frames, even the XS ones. :sad:

So I ride junior bikes instead. If I was taller, I'd have so much more choice... :cry:

BSOh likes this.
  11. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

I have the opposite problem... unless I bought in Holland I’d struggle to get one big enough

Women’s road frames seem to be aimed at women 5’0 to 5’8 or thereabouts (at least a few years back)

Reynard likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Sweet :smile:

Reynard likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Do as l did many years ago, I used to row in a four for Norwich RC. and after a particularly tough training session not being quite "with it "l wandered into the women,s changing/shower room instead of the mens :wub: Believe me l was left in no doubt as to why male and female facilities are separate :wacko:

14. BoldonLad

BoldonLad Über Member

I have no idea of the actual numbers buying/riding them, but, my wife recently bought (well, I bought, for her) a Liv (Giant), hybrid with that style of frame. She is very happy with it.

15. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

When I was looking for a roadie, I did try, but the frames were just too tall. Yes, I could probably ride them, but it's the stopping / starting / coming to a junction that's the problem. If I get it wrong and don't tilt the bike to the side, then *ouch* :surrender: (I have practical experience there - which I don't care to repeat...)

I ride a 38cm frame on 650c wheels, which is bang on for me. :blush:

Am looking at a hybrid made by the same peeps.

vickster likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice