Ladies saddle.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

florencethnurse

253BE448-2397-4B09-97E9-A59126FECE64.jpeg

I need some advice from the experts, I’m quite new to cycling I have now got proper cycle shorts but I’m not comfortable with my saddle , my ‘sit bones’ are obviously a bit larger than average but I don’t want a huge chuff off saddle just one that’s comfortable ....
This is my bike....

vickster

Legendary Member
Measure your sit bones or get a bike shop to and get the right width saddle

You may not have sit bones as wide as you think even if you are on the larger size :smile:

What saddle is it (Bontrager?) How is it uncomfortable? Is it at the right height and angle (flat a good plaxe to start)

You may also just need more time to get used to being on a saddle

Last edited:
^^^ this.

There are DIY guesstimate ways to measure your sit bones if you can't get to a LBS with an "assometer". You want your sit bones to be perching on the saddle.

Is the discomfort on your sit bones, or is it on the lady bits. If the latter, tilt the nose of the saddle down a little and see if it makes a difference.

Ultimately, everyone's bottom is different, so what works for one person might not necessarily work for another.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As a rough guide your leg should about straight sitting on the saddle with the pedal in the six o'clock position.

You might just need a bit more saddle time for you to acclimatise. Having said that the one supplied could certainly be improved upon with an upgrade.

Possibly my OH thinks it could be a tad higher .....

Try it and see. It's amazing sometimes how much difference just a small tweak can make... :okay:

Always best to try the cheapest option first - in this case tinkering around costs nothing bar a bit of time.

In terms of actual saddles, I find a Charge Ladle saddle works well for me, but saddles, like shorts, are just so personal. What works for me might not work for you.

vickster

Legendary Member
The worst saddle I ever had was an £80 specialized one, correct size based on measurement, just the wrong shape. Looked great on the bike though!

Too late to return it (bought online in a sale, not used for a while post build due to injury). The nose bit broke too but out of warranty

iluvmybike

Über Member
Myself and many ladies I know have the Selle Italia Lady Gelflow saddles - I have 3 on three different bikes and have always been comfortable. But it can be a very personal thing

vickster

Legendary Member
Myself and many ladies I know have the Selle Italia Lady Gelflow saddles - I have 3 on three different bikes and have always been comfortable. But it can be a very personal thing
Indeed, those don't suit me (I had a diva which always fared well in reviews). I don't personally like a cut out. I don't seem to get on with more expensive saddles actually!

Globalti

Legendary Member
That saddle looks too low for that size of bike. To determine the correct saddle height, sit on the bike leaning against a wall and your heel should just be brushing the pedal at the bottom of its stroke, with your leg hanging loose, not straightened out. Don't worry about being able to touch the ground when stopped, you can dismount when you stop.

Once you've done this, get a spirit level and set the saddle flat, try it for a few miles then start tinkering with the angle. Once it feels right, get riding because your bottom will need time to acclimatise.

Julia9054

Guru
But it can be a very personal thing

I don't personally like a cut out. I don't seem to get on with more expensive saddles actually!
Whereas I find any saddle without a cut out very uncomfortable over about 15 miles.
Also, one might assume that if your backside is big, you will have wide sitbones but width of sit bones doesn't really equate with size of backside which is why it is important to get measured.
A DIY way to do it is to place tinfoil on a carpeted step, sit on it and lean forward a bit. Then measure between the indents. My local Specialized shop has a more technical thing for measuring sitbone width but as I used to teach a couple of the blokes that work there, I wasn't really up for that!

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm sure I could do 15 miles on most saddles at the right height. I rarely if ever ride further than that without a break, unclip feet and saddle dismount. My joints just don't let me do longer without a move around

Top Bottom