Lake Annecy (France)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
Has anyone got first hand experience with cycling around this location?

It's a possible holiday destination next year.

I need to start looking at bike carrier solutions for a Ford S-Max as well, the standard rear door carrier isn't possible as the entire boot door is glass and plastic, the plastic won't take the weight.

alicat

Legendary Member
Could the bike(s) go inside the small van that masquerades as a Ford S-Max?

alicat

Legendary Member
If it were me, I would just put the bikes in loose, separated by old carpet if you want some protection.

If it helps, I have fitted the following into a Ford C-Max:

Three people
One bike
One wheelchair
Two zimmer frames
Three suitcases/holdalls
Large tent
Camping stuff
Cycling stuff.

It's amazing what you can fit in if you just decide that it is going to go in.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why not leave the bikes safely at home and just hire bikes when you get there? The opportunities for cycling will be fewer than you hope and the bikes will just be an encumbrance at every stage of the journey, not to mention the cost of buying the carrier. You can hire very good bikes in France and many hirers will deliver the bikes to your hotel. We have done this 3 times in Mallorca and it's a hell of a lot less worry and hassle.

In France, thieves operate in car parks so bikes left unattended on cars as well as the contents of the cars, especially obviously tourist cars, are targeted. Make sure you leave somebody with the car of hide everything in the boot or leave everything in the hotel or the apartment.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Why not leave the bikes safely at home and just hire bikes when you get there? The opportunities for cycling will be fewer than you hope and the bikes will just be an encumbrance at every stage of the journey, not to mention the cost of buying the carrier. You can hire very good bikes in France and many hirers will deliver the bikes to your hotel. We have done this 3 times in Mallorca and it's a hell of a lot less worry and hassle.

In France, thieves operate in car parks so bikes left unattended on cars as well as the contents of the cars, especially obviously tourist cars, are targeted. Make sure you leave somebody with the car of hide everything in the boot or leave everything in the hotel or the apartment.

ah ok I will take a look at hiring as well!

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
cheers Globalti this seems a far better option.

I will see if I can get a deal on a 2 week rental, I can go out early am or late in the evening as I do here and enjoy the views.

robgul

Legendary Member
To answer the Annecy question ... been there twice with bikes on the car (towbar rack) and once by train when we hired.

There's a great marked cycle track around the lake (off-road tarmac paths and some road) - I've ridden it both ways several times - better every time - cafes etc along the way. The 2009 TdeF did a circuit of the lake for the Individual Timetrial.

Moving away from the lake a few options:
1 Col de la Forclaz is a great climb with superb views - do it from either the Annecy or Albertville ends.
2 On the west side there is a crater - can't remember the name - that's a steady climb and then about 15 miles all downhill back to the lake. [There is a bike bus that starts at Annecy station and takes you to the top for the ride down :-) ]
3 Riding up to Grand Bornand/La Clusaz on the eastern side is doable - a big climb but with a steady grade.

We stayed each time at a hotel at Angon, on the east side.

Rob

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
To answer the Annecy question ... been there twice with bikes on the car (towbar rack) and once by train when we hired.

There's a great marked cycle track around the lake (off-road tarmac paths and some road) - I've ridden it both ways several times - better every time - cafes etc along the way. The 2009 TdeF did a circuit of the lake for the Individual Timetrial.

Moving away from the lake a few options:
1 Col de la Forclaz is a great climb with superb views - do it from either the Annecy or Albertville ends.
2 On the west side there is a crater - can't remember the name - that's a steady climb and then about 15 miles all downhill back to the lake. [There is a bike bus that starts at Annecy station and takes you to the top for the ride down :-) ]
3 Riding up to Grand Bornand/La Clusaz on the eastern side is doable - a big climb but with a steady grade.

We stayed each time at a hotel at Angon, on the east side.

Rob

Fantastic thank you very much.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Do take care over security; just because it's a pretty town in France doesn't mean there aren't desperate people around who will help themselves to anything saleable. Last time we parked in le Grand Bornand there was a family in distress because somebody had smashed a window and ransacked their car while it was parked somewhere quiet in the forest. Annecy is a lovely place, one of my favourite towns. Boat trips on the lake are good and there's swimming if you don't mind freezing water. Don't forget your EHIC cards and health insurance.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
We camped at the top end of the Lake a few years back. Took 5 bikes, 4 on the roof and one in the boot of our Galaxy. A towbar carrier is worth considering as putting them on the roof knackers your fuel efficiency and it's a long way to go.

Wonderful place, great cycleway all the way from Annecy to the far end of the lake off road and tarmacced. Lots of great climbs, Forclaz and Semnoz are the ones that stick in the mind. Highly recommended.

robgul

Legendary Member
We camped at the top end of the Lake a few years back. Took 5 bikes, 4 on the roof and one in the boot of our Galaxy. A towbar carrier is worth considering as putting them on the roof knackers your fuel efficiency and it's a long way to go.

Wonderful place, great cycleway all the way from Annecy to the far end of the lake off road and tarmacced. Lots of great climbs, Forclaz and Semnoz are the ones that stick in the mind. Highly recommended.

Ah - Semnoz is the one where you can get the bus from the station - just couldn't remember the name in my earlier post

Rob

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
It's all booked I can't wait!

I'm still tempted to take my own bike, I have checked and the S-Max has a detachable tow hook with electrics, a carrier is something I would like as it means I can take the children to Bewl water and Bedgebury to cycle and I won't need to rent bikes when there.

Top Bottom