Lambeth Bridge tipper truck fatality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
I have left the original reports / condolences thread in the Cyclist Down forum and moved the side "tipper" discussion here as it is a more appropriate place for it.

As always though, please remember that someone has died and as a public Internet forum we need to be respectful and considerate of family, friends or colleagues who may read it or be directed towards it (now or in the future); we also need to do the same with regards to each other's posts and opinions.

I have instructed the moderator team to thread-ban anyone who wilfully ignores this request!

Thanks,
Shaun

From the report it appears to be a known hot spot and there were previous engagements with council with at least one cycling group recommending fixes.

My blood runs cold... I cycle this way every morning and was in this exact spot 10 mins before the accident. The huge and very sad irony is that this morning there were police standing at various points round here making sure drivers and cyclists were behaving!! Every morning, when I'm on this roundabout, I have to be wary of coaches and lorries pulling out of Horseferry Road, some of them look right at me and still pull out, but because I know they're likely to do this, I'm able to stop in time (touch wood).

This junction where this poor woman died was where I was rear-ended whilst stopped waiting to go on to the roundabout on my way home by a car driver 18 months ago.

I'm really very sick of all this now, I know many cyclists do many stupid things but honestly this was a question of WHEN it will happen and not IF at this junction There are SO many huge trucks going through the area constantly at the moment.

Another irony was that a couple of years ago, TFL underwent consultation for proposals to change this roundabout. The proposals seemed halfway decent (certainly a lot better than the current situation) but they were scrapped and no alternative solutions offered...
How could any collision take place with such world-class facilities?

CCKS4XOWAAAb8qr.jpg
it's an offset roundabout with a constricted entry. Just about the worst combination for a tipper truck / cyclist.
:stop:

Wobblers

Euthermic
It's not the tipper trucks or the drivers. They are an odd shaped vehicle, they take odd lines through junctions / corners / roundabouts, because they have to. Cyclists need to learn to stay the hell away from them, don't go near them, give them a wide berth.

No. It's the drivers. They may use "odd lines" but that in no way absolves them from their legal responsibility of ensuring that the path they choose will not endanger other road users. They bring the risk to the roads, it is therefore their responsibility to behave in such a way that the risk to everyone else is minimised. And that should not even be controversial.

Last edited:
it's an offset roundabout with a constricted entry. Just about the worst combination for a tipper truck / cyclist.

Never ever try a toe to toe with any vehicle on such a roundabout. Best is to immediately drop back. The drivers eyes is on the right waiting for an opening and it can be dicey.

By now with cyclists coming up in numbers, the design of such roundabouts should accommodate a cycle cut-off at each left corner. I have seen it done before but can't recall where.

I agree, that's a meat grinder, plus setting off and circling the rb is a slight downhill, so you could be neck and neck with a lorry that came up behind you and then the lorry uses the rb to change lanes.

Eighty five per cent of the motor traffic crossing London's bridges break the speed limit.

I once got shouted at by a driver of a large lorry on Richmond Bridge. I didn't understand what he was talking about, accused me of crossing in front of him.

I worked it out when I got home: we were both turning right across the bridge here, and he attempted to overtake me as we went onto the two lane bridge that was solid with traffic. Apparently he nearly killed me. He would have accused (dead) me of cycling dangerously - I indicated - and some a*sehole on here would have said "another female cyclist..."

Not moving way or dropping back from something that is too big and dangerous even if you have right of way is not an intelligent move. Putting words into someone's mouth is also disingenuous and dishonest. Using profanities in any serious argument shows lack of substance and upbringing.

I once got shouted at by a driver of a large lorry on Richmond Bridge. I didn't understand what he was talking about, accused me of crossing in front of him.

I worked it out when I got home: we were both turning right across the bridge here, and he attempted to overtake me as we went onto the two lane bridge that was solid with traffic. Apparently he nearly killed me. He would have accused (dead) me of cycling dangerously - I indicated - and some a*sehole on here would have said "another female cyclist..."

snorri

Legendary Member
It's not the tipper trucks or the drivers. They are an odd shaped vehicle, they take odd lines through junctions / corners / roundabouts, because they have to. .
You appear to be saying the lorry design is incompatible with the road design.
Any vehicle type which cannot navigate the road design in relative safety should be banned until it is redesigned, or the road design is modified to suit the vehicle type, IMO.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not moving way or dropping back from something that is too big and dangerous even if you have right of way is not an intelligent move. Putting words into someone's mouth is also disingenuous and dishonest. Using profanities in any serious argument shows lack of substance and upbringing.
You can't drop back from something behind you. If you've been in that situation believe me you shout .... And no you don't think shall I ask him politely to stay back!

You can't drop back from something behind you. If you've been in that situation believe me you shout .... And no you don't think shall I ask him politely to stay back!

Agree on the shouting but sometimes its not going to work. I mentioned this before in another thread. I have had to get out of my bike and raise it to the kerb when I realised this beast came in from behind and was just too close at a junction while waiting for the lights to change. Looked uncool but my safety was more important. Sometimes I take the primary to avoid being hit by their sides .

Frankly all HGVs should be banned from high traffic areas during peak period and all HGV drivers must undergo 6 hours of mandatory cycle awareness training before entering high traffic area. While we pressurise the folks in authority to do something, best to avoid such situation if we can.

You appear to be saying the lorry design is incompatible with the road design.
Any vehicle type which cannot navigate the road design in relative safety should be banned until it is redesigned, or the road design is modified to suit the vehicle type, IMO.
Correct. I concur one hundred percent.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

Agree on the shouting but sometimes its not going to work. I mentioned this before in another thread. I have had to get out of my bike and raise it to the kerb when I realised this beast came in from behind and was just too close at a junction while waiting for the lights to change. Looked uncool but my safety was more important. Sometimes I take the primary to avoid being hit by their sides .

Frankly all HGVs should be banned from high traffic areas during peak period and all HGV drivers must undergo 6 hours of mandatory cycle awareness training before entering high traffic area. While we pressurise the folks in authority to do something, best to avoid such situation if we can.
I was thinking about your reply to @jefmcg where it doesn't sound as if she was waiting at the lights. And as she was turning right she would be a reasonable way from the pavement.

Top Bottom