Lambeth Bridge tipper truck fatality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-hit-by-lorry-on-lambeth-bridge-10164447.html

"A woman cyclist has died after she was hit by a lorry in central London this morning.
Police said the woman died after the crash with a truck at the junction of Millbank and Lambeth Bridge near Westminster. "

GC

[Shaun edit: I have copied this campaign thread from the original report / condolences thread in the Cyclist Down forum - so the first few pages should be read in the context of it originally being in that forum.

Please be respectful and remember that someone has died and that CycleChat is an open and public Internet forum.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Drago

Legendary Member
Terrible news.

And why always tipper trucks? Horrible coincidence, or some inherent failing with the vehicles or the people who drive them?

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Terrible news.

And why always tipper trucks? Horrible coincidence, or some inherent failing with the vehicles or the people who drive them?
There's a lot of building work going on esp. Victoria area which is were this lorry was probably going/returning from. They're not designed for inner city streets - they should be banned until all the cabs are redesigned to meet recommended standards - driver lower down to the road, better cab design to give view of inside of vehicle etc.

Mod Edit: Referenced quote has been deleted.

Seriously, are you blaming the victim here? Can we wait until we know the story?

Edit: Read the comments here to see many people blaming the cyclist, and going on about insurance, and tests and rules, when the poor victim was killed by someone unlicensed, running a red light, obscured dashboard and not even looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, are you blaming the victim here? Can we wait until we know the story?

I am not blaming the victim but folks like yourself who avoid the obvious or deflect the issue because it is politically not pleasant and want to be popular. Similar to what happened to the authorities in the various coucils and servces in the towns that was impacted by child exploitation cases on a massive scale.

Besides pressuring the transport industry and the Govt to introduce safey measures, we also need to educate our cyclists not be next to big vehicles at junctions. Point out demographics of the victims. So if they are in that group and they can address it and be prepared. We need a robust and active camapigns to save our own

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I am not blaming the victim but folks like yourself who avoid the obvious or deflect the issue because it is politically not pleasant and want to be popular. Similar to what happened to the authorities in the various coucils and servces in the towns that was impacted by child exploitation cases on a massive scale.

Besides pressuring the transport industry and the Govt to introduce safey measures, we also need to educate our cyclists not be next to big vehicles at junctions. Point out demographics of the victims. So if they are in that group and they can address it and be prepared. We need a robust and active camapigns to save our own
This thread is 7 posts old and you're turned it into a conspiracy. Well done.

Yeah, this is a thread about a specific fatality. It's quite possible her relatives and friends will find this thread, and may use it to discuss what happened. On the balance of probability it was not her fault (as most fatalities are found to be the driver's fault). If you want to discuss public policy, do it somewhere else.

Witness said the lorry cut across her.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

The construction industry need to be forced to assume responsibility for the people, of either gender, they kill. That is why their ''off site, out of mind'' approach to the public's safety is so murderous.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Mod Edit: Referenced quote has been deleted.

I don't care about political correctness, but the bike appears to have ended up under the front wheel this time, which suggests it was in front of the truck at some point.

Anyway, I've written elsewhere that I feel motorists (myself included) should pay attention to the leading edges of their vehicles at all times. Any errors other road users commit do not excuse us in a collision.

simonsch

Witness said the lorry cut across her.

Awful. I have seen this quite a few times at nearby intersections - a tipper truck cutting across 1, 2 or 3 lanes of traffic, at high speed, assuming that whoever/whatever is underfoot will be able to get out of the way in time. Well obviously she didn't manage. The biggest problem is the drivers of these things. There may be one or two decent ones, but there are certainly plenty of would-be killers. The company should have their right to work in London revoked for a year every time one of their trucks does this. At the very least that would cost them the amount to paint new livery.

It's not the tipper trucks or the drivers. They are an odd shaped vehicle, they take odd lines through junctions / corners / roundabouts, because they have to. Cyclists need to learn to stay the hell away from them, don't go near them, give them a wide berth.

Top Bottom