Lancaster - Best City for Cycling in the UK!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I love my home town for many reasons, and this is one of them...

A study carried out by law firm True Solicitors has found Lancaster to be the UK’s best city for cyclists, while London and Manchester came bottom of the rankings.

The study analysed 39 cities across the UK and scored them from 0-5 on bicycle theft reports, cost of public transport, air quality, cycling statistics, and road traffic accidents.

yI8Tf7TQ.jpg

Full article here

^_^

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
These solicitors have never cycled in Bradford. I would doubt they have a clue. 78% of statistics are bo**ox

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

To be honest... it's not the most convincing study I've read. For a start, there's no explanation what 'cycling statistics' even means.

But that said, Lancaster's been great for cycling for decades. I think the fact that the council made all the local disused railways into cycle tracks back in the early 80s helps. :notworthy:

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Not sure about this. I went to uni at Lancaster, and I also lived in Bradford for a year.

Lancaster is a decent place to cycle, certainly. There are some quite good cycle routes that are well used.

But Bradford being on this list.... I don't get it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I thought Oxford and Cambridge were reckoned to be pretty good by virtue of being quite flat?

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I don’t know where Lancaster is.
head north, continue past the black pudding, clog and flat cap and stop just before the sheep :okay:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Must have some of the best surrounding cycling in the country with Dales, lakes and bowland within day rides. The shared paths are useful as Monty notes. The one way system is not v cycling friendly and the A6 quite busy. Lovely little city.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The rides to Morecambe and Glasson Dock are pleasant on old railways but when you reach Morecambe you might just turn round and head back PDQ.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
But Bradford being on this list.... I don't get it.

I do. Bradford has done a lot to make cycling attractive. We've got the superhighway from Bfd centre to Leeds centre. There are numerous other routes created, and many more in the pipeline. Things like the Tour de Yorkshire and TdF in 2012 have made many people get on their bikes and many more think about it. There are certain areas of the city, like any city, where one has to pick their route well, but generally it's ok.

The council and local paper have done well to promote cycling too.

Top Bottom