lance Armstrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Something I only heard about in an interview last year (not with Lance!);

IIRC lance had a sponsorship deal (from someone in the US) with huge performance-based elements. They paid-up for each of his tour wins; then tried to sue him when the doping allegations surfaced later. SOMEHOW he managed to hang onto the money; if they had won their case, then he would very much NOT now be sitting on millions in career earnings, happy as Larry.

Milzy

Guru
He does have a great family. His then girlfriend and now wife after the ban and Oprah interview offered herself as driver that sideswiped 2 cars. So she was issued with traffic citations. 2 days later, the valet told the Police that our man of success was the actual driver. Yes it is a great family. I can tell you no member of my useless family would fall under the bus for me.

IIRC lance had a sponsorship deal (from someone in the US) with huge performance-based elements. They paid-up for each of his tour wins; then tried to sue him when the doping allegations surfaced later. SOMEHOW he managed to hang onto the money; if they had won their case, then he would very much NOT now be sitting on millions in career earnings, happy as Larry.

But he won because he’s a winner.

OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member

armstrongs remaining money, that he says saved his family.,came from investing in uber.
he put 100,000 dollars in at startup and got out upwards of 20 million, he won't say exactly. Some say it's over 70 million.
So whichever way you cut it,he's a smart boy. He's the guy everyone loves to hate,but lance is sitting in the sun,living his best life.

colly

Re member eR

Probably because they paid him to gain publicity, which they undoubtedly did. If they had put a clause in the contract to say something along the lines of he must avoid bringing bad publicity to himself or the company they would have won. Maybe.

The law doesn't recognise levels of barstardness.

Last edited:

The US Postal and Lance settled out court. He has settled all his cases out of court for obvious reasons. He also had to pay legal fees for one other ex-team mate to avoid further actions. He has not successfully defended any claims preferring to settle. All sponsors will have the standard termination and claw back for reputation damage, unacceptable conduct and fraud. It is pretty standard. He also had to repay back defamation claims proceeds from at least one media house.

In his mind he obviously thinks that no one has won against him in a court of law. Since the release of the US report he has threatened to sue multiple parties but nothing has materialised.

LA made approximately US 30 milion from the sale of his part stake in Uber. He has other businesses which are small and he still has small stake in Trek. He is certainly financially sounds.

In essence he must have paid a fortune out to various parties. If it was not for the Uber stake, it may be a different story.

Probably because they paid him to gain publicity, which they undoubtedly did. If they had put a clause in the contract to say something along the lines of he must avoid bringing bad publicity to himself or the company they would have won. Maybe.

The law doesn't recognise levels of barstardness.

The issue - at least as _I_ saw it! - was with the huge performance-based elements. His contract didn't specify "get us publicity" - it said " win some Grand Tours".
So if he cheated and was stripped of those titles ... well, it seems to me he was lucky to come out ahead financially on that one.

(I won't believe anyone saying he expected to be caught one day, and made sure all his contracts were worded accordingly. He did NOT expect to be caught!)

GuyBoden

Guru
Throughout my years watching pro cycling there were always pro riders getting caught taking dope and obviously many didn't get caught. Sadly, some died very young of health problems, especially linked to taking EPO in the 1980's.

A very good thing that came about following the aftermath of the Lance Armstrong doping scandal, drug testing in pro cycling has improved immensely.

I believe that nowadays Rider Testing is now organised by ITA not the UCI.:okay:

Jameshow

Veteran
Let the haters hate. He has a great family who love him. A massive network of friends. He’s still super fit for his age, rides all over the place road & MTB. Has millions of dollars, no regrets. He doesn’t give a hoot what others think. I’m not sure if he could ever have full redemption but he seems to have landed on his feet.

Just like Putin!!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
He repaid win bonus's paid out to hi by AIC, undisclosed sum but thought to be close to the $3m claimed

He also paid the US government / US Postal $5m. Some of which probably related to win bonus's although all wrapped up in larger lawsuit that as @Arrowfoot says was one of many settled out of court

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
He repaid win bonus's paid out to hi by AIC, undisclosed sum but thought to be close to the $3m claimed

He also paid the US government / US Postal $5m. Some of which probably related to win bonus's although all wrapped up in larger lawsuit that as @Arrowfoot says was one of many settled out of court

Yeah, I remember for a while there was regular news of him getting stung for $m here and there and out of court settlements and so on. With amusing nutcase Floyd Landis occasionally appearing on the sidelines. It was entertaining while it lasted.

Top Bottom