lance Armstrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I believe this to be true. If he'd been a more likeable fellow, someone like Indurain, he'd be lauded now as the greatest of all time.

I've read that he was a major talent as a teenage triathlete. Was he doping then? I've often wondered if long term, badly managed steroid abuse could lead to testicular cancer.

He was a major talent in the flat in his early years but struggled when it came to the mountains and he could not hold. It was after his cancer ops that the spurt in climbing was apparent was noticed and he was under medication then. Typically climbers are identified earlier. He was the exception.

Yes, if he was nice guy. he would have been loved as he never tested positive.

Milzy

Guru
He was a nasty character blah blah yes but a lot of other stars were complicit with him his allies & rivals. Some of these rivals are romantically adored by many because they showed panache and were likeable. Still juiced to the gills with multiple drugs.

Attachments

• 0610377C-B884-4CF7-B72B-BEC523E466BD.jpeg
    0610377C-B884-4CF7-B72B-BEC523E466BD.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 3

FishFright

More wheels than sense
On the periphery of my cycling social circle is an ex pro mechanic from that era , he can't name a clean rider from those times .. You either toed the team line and doped or you didn't race.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
On the periphery of my cycling social circle is an ex pro mechanic from that era , he can't name a clean rider from those times .. You either toed the team line and doped or you didn't race.

Not just doping. There's a story about the late season crits and bribery. The French tax man kept a close eye on pro cycling winners. One recipient of a bribe didn't know how to deal with it, tax-wise. His accountant said just declare it, the briber had put it down as expenses.

It's always been a circus. One of Armstrong's mistakes was not joining in, trying instead to bully his way to being top dog..

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's hardly an inside scoop.

I'll have a go anyway: Christophe Bassons?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
No, he’s admitted if he went back in time he’d do it all again.

Apart from getting caught, dopey bastard

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If he had stopped at 5 he might well have and his popular podcast and large fan base would now be even bigger & better.

Yebbut, five, if you've done eff-all apart from that, is hardly world-beating, is it.

OP
OP
tinywheels

tinywheels

Über Member
If he had stopped at 5 he might well have and his popular podcast and large fan base would now be even bigger & better.
I think the money he made off his uber investment probably cushioned him somewhat.
For sure he's divisive but his post tour achievements are pretty impressive.

Top Bottom