lance Armstrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
He’s slowed down somewhat now he’s off the drugs

And thats Strava ebike data

Milzy

Guru
Let the haters hate. He has a great family who love him. A massive network of friends. He’s still super fit for his age, rides all over the place road & MTB. Has millions of dollars, no regrets. He doesn’t give a hoot what others think. I’m not sure if he could ever have full redemption but he seems to have landed on his feet.

DRM

Guru
Let the haters hate. He has a great family who love him. A massive network of friends. He’s still super fit for his age, rides all over the place road & MTB. Has millions of dollars, no regrets. He doesn’t give a hoot what others think. I’m not sure if he could ever have full redemption but he seems to have landed on his feet.

Hideous, arrogant bully, deserves to have nothing imho

It does remind me of the Kardashians and despite their detractors, they have millions of followers. Lets face it they are billionaires and the entertainment contracts are repeatedly renewed. Certainly a measure of success that cannot be argued.

He does have a great family. His then girlfriend and now wife after the ban and Oprah interview offered herself as driver that sideswiped 2 cars. So she was issued with traffic citations. 2 days later, the valet told the Police that our man of success was the actual driver. Yes it is a great family. I can tell you no member of my useless family would fall under the bus for me.

yello

Has millions of dollars, no regrets. He doesn’t give a hoot what others think.
I wonder how true that actually is. Can anyone actually be that thick skinned? And if so, is that something to be admired? Or be taken as a role model?

He wasn't alone, no. There was a legacy of doping in cycling, yes. Armstrong took it to another level, industrialised it if you like. Then had the gall to call others out "the doubters" from the podium. Other lone dopers at least had the decency to keep their heads down and stay schtum.

The only saving grace is that he didn't 'spit in the soup', he unintentionally upturned the entire cauldron and set fire to the kitchen. Dopers have to be more clandestine and creative now ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
I wonder how true that actually is. Can anyone actually be that thick skinned? And if so, is that something to be admired? Or be taken as a role model?

Sociopaths...probably not to be admired

yello

Unfortunately, I've got to admit that I enjoyed watching the TdF in the Armstrong era.

I get that, it's allowed. It was, after all, two different things.

It did make for 'incredible' viewing at the time. Indeed not credible for many seasoned journalists of the era. I've long since forgotten the reading I was doing back in the day, but I remember vaguely a report of the response of journalists in the newsroom after one particular feat of Armstrong climbing bravado. Compelling viewing and totally drug enabled. Many journos knew they were watching something extra-special, and some even started to say so.

yello

I agree that they should stand - but marked with a caveat.
I actually agree with that, and said as much many years ago when he was stripped of the titles. I think those wins should be classed as something like '* - the doping years'

There weren't 'all at it' (I've never bought into the level playing field argument) but enough of them were (albeit without the organisation, commitment and success) to make it a bit of a lottery to say who wasn't - certainly at the top end of the field. Strip the title from Armstrong and give it to Ullrich (or whoever)? Nah, I don't think so.

It is all a bit strange to me because I avidly watched the TdF for many years but stopped due to 'circumstances' just as LA started winning.
I remember a lot of fuss one year when he started - but gave up after a few stages when he wasn;t going to win - wondered what all the fuss was about
then I heard all the fuss when it all blew up and wondered what I had missed

came back to watching it when the 'circumstances' changed again - in time to watch some of Bradley Wiggins winning it - then the years when Froome was at his peak
along with the remarks and comments made by commentators and experts referring to stuff I had missed

Most of the stuff I know about it is from documentaries and articles from more recent times

Red17

Veteran
I found Emma O'Reillys book a good read - she seems to have forgiven Lance despite all the insults.

Interestingly David Walsh comes out fairly poorly in her account for his treatment of her.

Top Bottom