Landis 'fesses up?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If Landis is stating, explicitly, that Verbruggen was bribed by Bruyneel and Tex then he’s either going to have to produce some damn good proof or be stamped on for libel, which would have the net effect of rendering his entire testimony null and void. If all he wanted was to clear his conscience then fine, but if he genuinely wanted to do something constructive then he’s handled this incredibly badly.

Skip Madness

Losidan said:
wonder if he'll give back the funds he raised for his campaign then. if i had donated I would want and IMMEDIATE refund with interest
I think he said that he wants to, but at the moment he has no money.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Bit of a double-bind this one, isn't it? On the one hand, Landis is a cheat and a liar and by the admission of this e-mail a self-confessed liar - but do you believe the liar when he says he's telling the truth (Socrates will be smiling to himself wherever he is...)

But on the other hand, I find it hard not to believe the stuff about US Postal and Armstrong, given all the corroborating stories from so many people who have contact with them over the years. The bribery thing takes it to a new level, but we know that the top levels of sport are riddled with corruption - the IOC, football, tennis... why not cycling?

Losidan

i find it quite amusing to that under the Guardian article the first recommended advertisement is for EPO.

maurice

I'm inclined to believe it may be true, but Landis has just proved to everyone, one way or the other, that he's a complete liar and not to be trusted.

I wonder if he's writing a new book, it'd certainly be a good way to sell some copies.

biking_fox

Guru
Landis
Now we've come to the point where the statute of limitations on the things I know is going to run out or start to run out next month," Landis said. "If I don't say something now then it's pointless to ever say it."

Yeah right. because two months is clearly enough time for something to be done about it.

find it quite amusing to that under the Guardian article the first recommended advertisement is for EPO.
So is the presumably googleads banner on the Velogames site. :sad:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I wonder if this will encourage others to come forward? Rasmussen is another with nothing to lose.

Either way the implications for cycling are serious and very damaging. Sponsors are going to be hard enough to find in this economic climate, and if Armstrong's credibility with the general public (as opposed to cycling fans) is destroyed then the consequenses could go as far as to effect lottery funding in this country. The press would be very hostile to a badly tainted sport.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The contrasting responses of WADA and the UCI say quite a bit. WADA says the allegations are serious and worth investigation. The UCI just attacks Landis and say that no-one who 'loves cycling' would do this...

No wonder few trust the UCI to clean up cycling.

mangaman

I agree - do WADA have any legal "teeth" here to invetigate the claims (especially Lance's alledged failed test at the Tour de Suisse) ?

montage

God Almighty
Landis states that he talked about it back in 2002 with Lance. Love him or hate him, Lance can't be blanketed as a complete moron, and only a complete moron would talk so openly about drugging with a team mate, who by the very nature of the sport, won't be under Lance's iron rod in the same team forever.

Lodes of old cobblers - most likely with money being involved. Lance may or may not have cheated, but I highly doubt Landis would have exchanged advice over the matter.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
montage said:
Landis states that he talked about it back in 2002 with Lance. Love him or hate him, Lance can't be blanketed as a complete moron, and only a complete moron would talk so openly about drugging with a team mate, who by the very nature of the sport, won't be under Lance's iron rod in the same team forever.

Lodes of old cobblers - most likely with money being involved. Lance may or may not have cheated, but I highly doubt Landis would have exchanged advice over the matter.

Of course they talked about it. The detail Landis goes into seems very authentic to me and not the kind of way you'd make something up. If the story is twisted that FL is just being nasty to his old mates then it's just so much spin from the LA, Bruyneel, UCI machine.

Top Bottom