Landlords result and finish.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
As you may remember,we have two kids at Uni.Both renting property,well at the end of the term,both landlords have tried to get £230 and £130 out of both of them for cleaning and damage ?.
Seeing as Mr and Mrs Postman were part of the parents cleaning teams at the start and at the end of tenancy we questioned those costs.
First landlord in Edinburgh reduced his claim to £130 which after consultation with one mother who is a lawyer they paid £21 each and walked away.I think he was very lucky,and a t w t.
Now second landlord and letting agent in Manchester,a different matter.Mrs Postman was workiing through our son,feeding him lines to send in e mails,now we got it down by 50%,until today just 30 mins ago,they have told our Son NOTHING HAS TO BE REPAID.
Mrs Postmans last e mail via our son has made a massive difference.Mrs Postman demanded last years cleaning invoice and also wanted to know the age of the two sofas in the flat,plus last years cleaning invoice of said sofas.PLUS this nugget.After reading countless reviews about charging students and tenants for cleaning the flats,but to go and find the actual owners were cleaning their own properties before re letting,my wife was going to inform my union's legal team about this discrepancy.This has turned the whole matter on it's head and we are to be refunded the rest of the bond.A great result.

Last edited:
OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
I do not recommend this estate agents! They were fine when we were actually tenants, usually arranging repairs etc fairly quickly. However as soon as we left the property they changed, we left the flat in immaculate condition (cleaner than when we moved in) yet were charged £80 for "light cleaning" that apparently needed to be carried out, as well as replacement of items (eg. Lights) that we never had when we moved in. I doubt that this "cleaning" even took place as we received no bill for it. Fees during the tenancy were also very expensive for simple things such as continuing the tenancy for another year. They cannot be trusted and I am very disappointed in the company considering we were good tenants.

Worst estate agent ever. Very concerning that there is a pattern emerging in the comments. In the flat I rented I found a copy of the 2014 tenancy agreement that listed a number of items as damaged. As a tenant of 2016 when we moved out they tried to charge us for damages listed on the 2014 agreement that they no doubt charged the 2014 tenants for. I suggest they systematically charge tenants for damages and don't rectify them. I also think that anyone posting good feedback about them is in some way connected to the agent. My advice, even if you like the house forget it because it will cost you a fortune.

Just a couple of reviews from former customers of said agent.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done - I imagine that a lot of people just give up and lose the bond!

My sister is about to move out of a rented property. She had to pay a massive £1,700 bond when she moved in and is determined to get it all back so she has cleaned the carpets, repainted any woodwork that looked less than pristine, hoovered everywhere and so on. It will be interesting to see if her landlord tries it on!

classic33

Leg End Member
Second the above comment about tenants just giving up. They just happenned to meet one not prepared to give up.

Might make them think twice before trying again.

matiz

Guru
Well done Postie, I bet they are feeling shocked at someone showing some stubborn resistance, they really think they are entitled to get free money off leaving Tennants and they mostly get away with it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This kind of trick is especially despicable when the victims are young people who may not be aware of their rights and the ins and outs of civil law.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I wonder if there is a trading standards angle as there might be for other rogue traders? It's a bit rum if they can continually attempt to defraud people with no come-back other than a civil action

classic33

Leg End Member

Top Bottom