Landrover - the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You could have got them bicycles. It would have been cheaper. And if they said they didn't cycle find some way to sack them maybe?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Poor you.... at least you might get some fun out of it, in a way. Hope you have a big expense account for all the extra diesel you'll be using- maybe taxis would be cheaper?

Linford

I was up on the hill tonight....you'd simply not get there in a regular car...

702230_10151357244588704_1376213719_n.jpg

Linford

It was a family outing so they could take a proper look. It is mosly gone in the town now. Good that you admit they are entirely practical vehicles in bad weather.

Linford

[QUOTE 2273321, member: 45"]I've never suggested otherwise.

I would point out though that a pointless journey to drive some family up a hill does not in any way justify ownership.[/quote]

It was no more or less pointless than any other sightseeing trip. I'd actually say it has merit because the snow only drifts to that depth every few years. I would call it an educational field trip.
I've explained on many occasions why I do have it, and having the chance to use it in the extremes of the British weather is just a bonus.

Linford

I did see an idiot up on the hill in a Volvo XC70 (V70), who was spinning up wildly after getting stuck at a point where the snow was much thinner on the ground. Why these idiots drag a regular car into these conditions is beyond me. He had neither the ground clearance, the ability to lock the differentials, or the tyres to cope. he would have been a lot better off on foot.

A sensible person would recognise it better to have spare capacity to cope with these conditions, than not enough....isn't that after all why you hired the Disco ;)

Linford

[QUOTE 2273321, member: 45"]I've never suggested otherwise.

I would point out though that a pointless journey to drive some family up a hill does not in any way justify ownership.[/quote]

May I draw your attention to THIS

You have been very dismissive of ownership for years, but then again, you were living in the centre of a huge city at the time. It is funny how a move out to the sticks can alter ones perspective of what others do or don't require in the way of practical transport ^_^

[QUOTE 2263058, member: 45"]Simple really- I need to make sure I can get staff in whatever the weather so we hired one. A Defender would have done, but Thrifty decided to send a top-spec Discovery. [/quote]
Not driven a Discovery 4 yet, but I do prefer its shape to the '3' - I always thought that it looked like a double-cab pick-up with a 'truckman top' due to the swage line down the side.

I've had several Solihull products over the years;
1969 2A Light-Weight
1994 110Tdi Hard-Top (a '300', that was incredible compared to the turbo-diesels of the late 80s/early 90's)
1989 90CSW-V8 (genuine factory built V8 County, & went like stink! - at a cost)
1998 Discovery 50th Anniversary (300Tdi, never really got on with it, was talked into it by wife - I wanted a 'proper' Range Rover at the time)
1999 Defender 110 Td5 'Heritage' (the Landy that I'd wanted since I was about 8; a LWB Station Wagon)

I did see an idiot up on the hill in a Volvo XC70 (V70), who was spinning up wildly after getting stuck at a point where the snow was much thinner on the ground. Why these idiots drag a regular car into these conditions is beyond me. He had neither the ground clearance, the ability to lock the differentials, or the tyres to cope.
They're surprisingly competant, & almost the equal of the Octavia Scout.
Now those are damned good in the snow, even on 'summer tyres'

Our 'delivery service' has quite a few of them as First Responder cars & the crews love them, unless they got bellied out, no-one reported having major traction issues with them.

Hotblack Desiato

Further back, but it was too exposed to stop and get out. A regular car wouldn't get to the point where that was taken...even with snow chains.

It's never too exposed to stop and get out if you have a shovel. Was driving in worse than that in my fwd motor when we were stopped by this rwd car stuck. There was a strong breeze drifting the snow across the road and I was soon plastered in snow.

Having a shovel, wellies and other gear I was able to get them on their way far enough to allow us to proceed. They didn't leave their car, they were all in city clobber. We left them to it as the emergency services were en route. (When we got started again my passenger took a pic through the windscreen and it looks like something out of Scott of the Antarctic.) Our journey started by digging a path through the snow drift blocking the driveway and was one of those journeys that really are necessary.

If you know what you are doing, only a snowdrift will stop a FWD car. I know as I have left them stuck in them waist deep before wading through on foot to get home. The penalty for living in the middle of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom