Landrover - the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

4WD = Low range and High Range gearing
AWD = Only high range gearing
Part-time 4WD: No centre differential.
Permanent 4WD:. No two wheel drive mode. System is equipped with a centre differential, and hence is safe to use on all surfaces. All four wheels are powered all of the time (usually 50/50 front and rear axles). This is arguably the best system since the torque split ratio does not change and is the most predictable. All wheels "help out" all of the time and this stabilises the vehicle + improves handling. : MB M-class SUV, the Range/Land Rovers.
Full-time 4WD: Basically permanent 4WD but with a 2WD mode. Jeep selct trak as fitted to cherokees
Permanent AWD: Basically permanent 4WD but without low range gearing. Examples include the Audi Quattro AWD system, the MB's 4-matic AWD system.
Full-time AWD: System is active at all times, however in most cases, the one set of wheels (usually the rears) only receive 5-10% of the engine's power unless slippage occurs. At that point, power is progressively transfered to the opposite axle to help out. Some systems can transfer power to the rear upon acceleration to improve traction.

in a nutshell.

The bit missing is the LSD on the back end and locking center differential which the vast majority of these lesser AWD vehicles lack. If one wheel spins up on the axle diff, then the others don't drive either if the power cannot be effectively transfered to the front end.

Mine fits into the Full time 4WD bracket as it lives in 2WD for 95% of the time to improve the fuel economy.

Linford

It is the best solution. Permanent 4WD knocks the fuel economy as it means the vehicle isn't just dragging its own mass around, but also has to overcoem the friction imposed by all of the transmission components permanently spinning. Mine has somethingcalled 'Super Select' which allows you to engage and disengage the 4wd on the move as well as auto locking hubs

Linford

[QUOTE 2273620, member: 45"]Wrong. As I reminded you a few posts ago I have never had a problem with justifiable 4x4 use. You have one for your big pet hobby and for taking family up hills you dont need to go up, but think that this gives you the same level of need as, for example, the emergency services or farmers.

It doesn't. You're a townie who doesnt need a 4x4.[/quote]

Are you an emergency service or farmer ?

Linford

No its not - you by self admission do not need 4WD for 95% of the time you use it. Therefore by default, it would be cheaper to hire for the 5% when you apparently do...

Sell it and sell it now. Its useless.

... You could learn a lot from Mr P's example ;)

It stands to reason that if I had a requirement to use the 4WD 100% of the time, the only cars on the road would be ......wait for it.........4x4's :thumbsup:

You couldn't get to my trailer even without the snow in your beemer, let alone drag it. When the snow falls, my 330d driving workmate scrounges a lift from me as the car is useless in those conditions

subaqua

What’s the point
It stands to reason that if I had a requirement to use the 4WD 100% of the time, the only cars on the road would be ......wait for it.........4x4's :thumbsup:

You couldn't get to my trailer even without the snow in your beemer, let alone drag it. When the snow falls, my 330d driving workmate scrounges a lift from me as the car is as useless as the one driving it in those conditions still shod in summer rubber

would read more accurate.

and your maths is a tad skewed. have a think how much it needs to be used in $WD . its not a difficult one

Linford

[QUOTE 2273646, member: 45"]I gave two examples that I thought you couldnt argue with, though I wouldnt be surprised if you tried.

You dont need to know what I do. All you need to know is that if I hadn't needed to hire then I wouldnt have.[/quote]

You put my use outside the circle which is justifiable usage, whilst putting yourself inside it....whilst admitting you get around perfectly well in a Fabia.

I don't think it unreasonable that you divulge your justificaton to prove the vaildity of your assertions

Linford

would read more accurate.

and your maths is a tad skewed. have a think how much it needs to be used in $WD . its not a difficult one

Given you were towing that 10 metre rib illegally with an undersized amnd underweight vehicle, I don't really rate your maths either mister :laugh:

U

User482

You put my use outside the circle which is justifiable usage, whilst putting yourself inside it....whilst admitting you get around perfectly well in a Fabia.

I don't think it unreasonable that you divulge your justificaton to prove the vaildity of your assertions

MrP has already made it perfectly clear why he hired a 4x4. It wasn't for a silly sightseeing trip.

May I recommend a pair of boots and a coat.

Linford

MrP has already made it perfectly clear why he hired a 4x4. It wasn't for a silly sightseeing trip.

May I recommend a pair of boots and a coat.

He has done no such thing. He just made some excuse about having to ferry some workers about...what is wrong with them using a pair of boots and coat as well by your reckoning ?

If they were working for the LA emptying bins, they would claim H&S as a good reason for not going to work...as they have done in my town this week...

[QUOTE 2273720, member: 9609"]So basically you just went out in your environmentally damaging tonka toy, to have a look at how much damage you have caused to the climate. They do say people always return to the scene of their crime![/quote]

I may have missed something - but is this a joke, or do you actually have a problem with 4x4s..?

[QUOTE 2273759, member: 9609"]The world has a problem with 4x4s[/quote]

I don't..? I don't care how many of the wheels are driven.

U

User482

He has done no such thing. He just made some excuse about having to ferry some workers about...what is wrong with them using a pair of boots and coat as well by your reckoning ?

If they were working for the LA emptying bins, they would claim H&S as a good reason for not going to work...as they have done in my town this week...

I'm aware of the sort of work MrP does, and why it might be important for him to ensure people can get to work. It makes perfect sense to hire in a 4x4 for the very rare times one is useful.

You by contrast are a lazy sightseer. Did you go to work on Friday?

Linford

I'm aware of the sort of work MrP does, and why it might be important for him to ensure people can get to work. It makes perfect sense to hire in a 4x4 for the very rare times one is useful.

You by contrast are a lazy sightseer. Did you go to work on Friday?

I didn't actually see many people cycling or walking up there so it would be a safe bet to say that it wasn't suitable for either...the car took it in its stride though, and I never miss a day becaause of bad weather whilst owning the 4x4. I've already stated I bring people in who would otherwise not be able to get herein extreme conditions.

Linford

[QUOTE 2273767, member: 45"]I'm not going to publicise my exact work details. I don't need to.

You know all you need to.[/quote]

007...license to kill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom